Puerto Vallarta is a beautiful city on the coast of Mexico. Here are 10 things to do in Puerto Vallarta to create fun and lasting memories on your next vacation.
Mexico has so many beautiful places to visit including Cancun and Tulum, but Puerto Vallarta has so much that keeps me coming back! While in the past I’ve mostly focused on food with my food guide, I thought I’d jot down my favorite activities on my most recent trip so I can share the ultimate list of things to do in Puerto Vallarta!
10 things to do in Puerto Vallarta
- Stay at the Westin and book a balcony room with pool and ocean views. Where you vacation can make or break your journey, and you can’t go wrong with The Westin Resort & Spa. My room had a beautiful view of the sea, including a wonderful view of the sunset at night, and cool sea air to welcome you in the morning. And it’s just minutes from downtown!
2. Take a fitness class at the Westin. If classes are your fitness style then I really enjoyed the yoga class! However, the fitness center has something for everyone, and total wellness was a big selling point for the Westin to me anyway!
3. Get tacos at Pancho’s Takos. I personally think it’s hard to go wrong with tacos and honestly any taco at Pancho’s will satisfy, but you have to try their tacos al pastor! Located in the Zona Romantica (or Romantic Zone) of Puerto Vallarta, just a few blocks from the beach, Pancho’s Takos offers some of the best authentic Mexican tacos you can find anywhere.
4. Historical Walking Tour of Downtown Puerto Vallarta. If adventure is calling you and you’re sure to ask yourself, then explore it on a free walking tour! If you want a little more guidance, the hotel can arrange and host a walking tour of downtown Puerto Vallarta so you don’t miss any of the historic sites and beautiful architecture of Old Town.
5. Get a massage at the Westin Spa. Is there anything more relaxing than a beach massage? Of course, the Westin offers all manner of luxury services, including facials, manicures and pedicures, waxing, and a whirlpool and steam room.
6. Enjoy lunch outdoors Cebicheria Arrecifes. I couldn’t help but spend as much time at the beach as possible! This included delicious lunches served right on the shore. I cannot recommend the shrimp aguachile enough! And they offer a wide variety of ceviche and other snacks that kept me satisfied throughout the day.
7. Want to take a few steps and burn lunch? Drive to Mirador Cerro de La Cruz, a scenic lookout with panoramic views of Puerto Vallarta and the coast. It’s only about 15 minutes from the Malecon and has by far the best views of the area. There is a cable car that takes you up the last flight of stairs adding a bit of excitement to the attraction!
8. Have fun in the sun by the pools at the Westin. Especially when it comes to escaping the Michigan cold, when I vacation somewhere warm and sunny you’ll find me by the pool or by the ocean. The Westin has multiple pools to please everyone, families with kids and adults traveling alone!
9. Have a margarita at the Margarita Grill. And while you’re there I’d order the guacamole as it’s freshly made right at your table! It’s hard not to be in the best of moods as the energy is lively and fun and the margaritas are big and delicious!
10. Late Night Street Food Taco Tour with Vallarta Food Tours. I know I said the food wouldn’t be the focus this time, but I can’t help it! For me, food and travel go hand in hand, so you can’t go to Puerto Vallarta without taking a taco tour. They offer all types of food tours, including a seafood tour and a mixology tour, but street tacos are an absolute favorite of mine so I’d recommend those first.
There are many things I haven’t officially listed such as snorkeling and diving, whale watching or swimming with dolphins. But whatever you do during your trip to Puerto Vallarta, you can’t go wrong with a stay near the heart of town and the ocean at The Westin Resort & Spa. What did you do during your trip? I’d love to hear about it in the comments!
Disclosure: The Westin Resort hosted my accommodations and meals during my stay, but all opinions are my own.