Enjoy super crispy air fried oyster mushrooms with tender, meaty middle in about 30 minutes as the perfect vegan alternative to chicken nuggets. This appetizer is great for game days (including the Superbowl), special occasions, and more. Includes oven and deep-fryer methods.
Whether a game day is near, Super Bowl, or you’re just craving something salty, savory and crunchy, prepare to be wowed by these air-fried oyster mushrooms! Made for the perfect vegan ‘KFC’, these oyster mushroom chicken nuggets are coated in an aromatic vegan buttermilk and gluten-free spiced crumb and then air-fried until super crispy on the outside with a tender, juicy, ‘meaty’ middle.
just like me Air Fried Buffalo Cauliflower Wings, this Air Fryer Oyster Mushroom Fried Chicken tastes delicious while containing a fraction of the oil, fat and calories thanks to using an air fryer. However, if you’re interested, I’ve also included the deep fryer and oven methods. Even better, this recipe is budget-friendly, ready in about 30 minutes, and deliciously addictive.
Meanwhile, mushrooms’ neutral flavor and meaty texture mean you can season any dish in dozens of ways as an appetizer or side/main. Even as a gluten-free, vegan, all-natural meat substitute, they’re crunchy, delightful, and flavorful enough that they’re a total crowd-pleaser that even non-vegans will love. Yum Yum SauceIn addition to this friedinside SandwichWraps, and more!
You can pull together this vegan oyster mushroom recipe with simple and fairly inexpensive ingredients to create a super indulgence.
- Oyster Mushroom: Make sure the mushrooms (any type of oyster mushroom should work) are a uniform color with no bruises/bruises. They are available at most large grocery stores or Asian grocery stores. Optionally, trim off any rubbery stems (leaving only 1 inch).
- Dairy free milk: Any unsweetened milk will work, such as soy milk, oat milk, etc.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Adding vinegar (or lemon juice) to the batter in addition to dairy-free milk will make a vegan buttermilk batter.
- Chickpea Flour: It’s naturally gluten-free and makes a flavorful thin batter.
You can substitute gram flour in small quantity cornmeal For added color, texture and flavor.
- Oats: I used whole rolled oats (regular or certified gluten-free) ground into a coarse flour. Alternatively, use regular or gluten-free panko breadcrumbs.
- Nutritional Scream: This will add cheesy, umami flavor but is optional. Alternatively, use mushroom powder for umami or increase the spice.
- spices: I used a simple but very tasty spice mix:
- Bell pepper
- Smoked paprika
- Onion powder
- garlic powder
You will also need cooking fink (or oil spray, like avocado oil) for super crispy air fryer oyster mushrooms. Don’t skip it.
Other spice options
The spice mix you use for this air-fried oyster mushroom recipe is one of the easiest ways to adapt them. Experiment with your own blend, such as adding chili/cayenne pepper on top for spice, or use a blend of spices, such as:
- curry masala
- garam masala
- Shawarma spices
- Italian seasoning (optionally with garlic)
- Cajun seasoning
- Creole Seasoning
Read the recipe card below for this Full ingredient list, Measurements, full recipe method, and nutrition information.
How to make Air Fried Oyster Mushrooms?
- First, gently clean each oyster mushroom with a damp paper towel or cloth.
- Then, combine the dairy-free milk, vinegar and chickpea flour in a bowl. Set aside for a few minutes. Meanwhile, mix all the bread-making ingredients in a large bowl.
- Working one at a time, coat one oyster mushroom in the wet mixture, then breading and repeating one more time, making sure it’s thoroughly coated. Repeat with remaining mushrooms.
- Spray your air fryer basket with cooking spray and add a single layer of mushrooms, spacing the mushrooms (cook in batches if necessary). Spray them liberally with cooking spray. This will help them become crispy.
- Air fry the vegan chicken nuggets at 360 °F/180 °C for 14-16 minutes, flipping them every 5 minutes and spraying lightly with cooking spray each time. Enjoy!
What to serve with vegan chicken nuggets?
I like to serve these vegan chicken nuggets as a dipping sauce Yum Yum Sauceketchup, Vegetarian Cheese Sauce, or Sriracha Mayo. However, you can enjoy this ‘Vegan Fried Chicken’ in a variety of delicious ways, including/over:
They’re great to serve as part of any game-day platter and for the Super Bowl, alongside friesFried polenta, Onion ringsand dips like French Onion Dip.
shop: Let them cool, and then store any leftovers in a paper towel-lined airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Reheat: Air-roasted mushrooms will soften over time, so reheating is the perfect opportunity to bring back the softness. You can reheat them in the oven or air fry them at 350 °F/175 °C until hot and crispy (about 10-15 minutes in the oven and 4-7 minutes in the air fryer), or broil them. Avoid using microwave.
Can I use other mushrooms?
While technically, most mushrooms can be sautéed and cooked until crisp, the meaty texture of oyster mushrooms makes them particularly impressive as a vegetarian chicken nuggets alternative.
Can I bake breaded oyster mushrooms in the oven?
Although they are not as crispy, they are easy to make. Spread the mushrooms across a baking tray with room in between, spray with cooking oil and cook in a preheated oven at 400F/200C for about 20-30 minutes. Flip them in half and spray again with cooking oil.
Are oyster mushrooms healthy?
Oyster mushrooms are packed with fiber, 3 grams of protein per 100 grams, and several vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants—which boost gut, heart, blood sugar, and immunity.
Can I make deep fried oyster mushrooms?
I don’t deep-fry my food, but luckily, a friend of mine was willing to test it out. Heat a few inches of vegetable oil/canola oil (or any oil with a high smoke point) in a pot to about 350-360 °F/176-182 °C (or drop a piece of batter in. It should bubble immediately. ).
Then add a few beaten oyster mushrooms (don’t crowd the pan) and fry for a few minutes until golden brown and crispy. Transfer to paper towels to drain excess oil and repeat with remaining mushrooms.
What does oyster mushroom taste like?
Oyster mushrooms have a slightly earthy but subtle flavor, acting like a sponge to absorb any spices and flavors you use. This, combined with their meaty texture, makes them great for making realistic vegan chicken nuggets! Even mushroom haters can enjoy this dish!
Recipe notes and tips
- Do not wash mushrooms: They soak the water and throw off the texture. Instead, use a damp cloth/paper towel to clean the oyster mushrooms.
- Size: Prepare them whole or tear/cut them into more evenly sized pieces.
- For a crispier batter: Substituting a tablespoon or two of chickpea flour with rice flour or corn flour makes for a crunchier, lighter batter.
- Don’t skip the cooking spray/oil: While we are air frying oyster mushrooms to make them much healthier, you still need oil to make them super crispy.
- Taste is mild: You can change the spice ratio or use a different spice blend to adapt the vegan oyster mushroom recipe to any meal or mood.
- Don’t crowd them: Whether making air fryer oyster mushrooms or cooking them in the oven or deep fryer, it is very important not to crowd them so that they are able to crisp up properly.
More vegan mushroom recipes
If you try this easy air-fried oyster mushroom recipe, I would love one Comment and ★★★★★ Recipe rating Down below. Also, please don’t forget Tag me in a re-creation on Instagram or Facebook with @ellavegan #Elvegan– I love to see them.
Air Fried Oyster Mushrooms (Vegan Chicken Nuggets)
Enjoy super crispy air fried oyster mushrooms with a tender, meaty middle in just 30 minutes as the perfect vegan fried chicken alternative for game days (including the Superbowl), special occasions and more. Includes oven and deep-fryer methods.
You can watch the video in the post for visual instructions.First, gently clean each oyster mushroom with a damp paper towel or cloth.
Then, combine the dairy-free milk, vinegar and chickpea flour in a bowl. Set aside for a few minutes. Meanwhile, mix all the bread-making ingredients in a large bowl.
Working one at a time, coat one oyster mushroom in the wet mixture, then breading and repeating one more time, making sure it’s thoroughly coated. Repeat with remaining mushrooms.
Spray your air fryer basket* with cooking spray and add a single layer of mushrooms, spacing the mushrooms (cook in batches if necessary). Spray them liberally with cooking spray. This will help them become crispy.*See the FAQ in the post for the oven and skillet method.
Air fry the mushrooms at 360 °F/180 °C for 14-16 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes and spraying them lightly with cooking spray each time.
Serve with it Yum Yum Sauce And enjoy!
- Oats: You can use breadcrumbs (regular or GF) instead of oats.
- Nutrition Facts: Will add a cheesy/umami flavor. If you don’t want to use it, add a little mushroom powder or add more spices.
Air Fried Oyster Mushrooms (Vegan Chicken Nuggets)
No. per job
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Value is based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Nutritional information is an estimate and has been calculated automatically
If you use PINTEREST, feel free to pin the photo below: