This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read my disclosure.
Creamy avocado puree is a great first food for your baby! Avocados are super healthy, and are packed with essential nutrients for growth and development. This simple recipe requires no special equipment and is ready in less than 5 minutes! Avocado baby food is one of the easiest purees you can make for your baby, and will quickly made your list of favorite baby food recipes! And the best part? Babies love it!!
Avocado is one of the best first foods to introduce to your baby. Not only is it buttery, creamy, and super soft, but it also has amazing health benefits to aid in your baby’s growth and brain development.
In just half of the avocado you will get 11% of your daily value of Vitamin C, and between 10-20% of your daily value of Vitamins E, K, Folate, Magnesium, Potassium, most B Vitamins, and 19% of your total fat needed!
Avocado puree was actually my daughter’s first solid food and it quickly became a favorite of hers! When I was first introducing avocado to baby I mixed avocado and breast milk together to form a creamy liquid.
Making avocado puree for babies is effortless. With just a quick mash up you will have a healthy food that you can feel good about giving to your little one.
This recipe is also very versatile and adaptable as your child grows. You can try different variations and mix-ins to keep things interesting. And once they’ve gotten familiar with this recipe, you can try out other veggie and fruit puree recipes like my blueberry baby food or my green bean puree.
Keep reading to learn some of my favorite tips and methods for making avocado baby food puree!
👩🏽🍳 Why This Recipe Works
- Good source of omega 3 fatty acids
- Quick clean up
- Easy to make in bulk
- Can be frozen
- No fancy equipment needed
- Nutrient dense
- Less sweet than other baby food puree
- Similar fat content to mother’s milk
- Best avocado puree recipe for babies!
Latest Recipe Video!
This is the easiest avocado baby food recipe ever! At its most minimal form, you will only need 1 avocado! Thanks to its simplicity, it makes the perfect first food for your little one to try.
- Avocado: Nutrient-rich avocado makes a wonderful first food for babies with good fats and vitamins. Try to use organic avocado for the healthiest option.
- Breast Milk, Formula, Or Water: Create the perfect creamy texture by adding in your choice of liquid. For best results, only use a little water so that it doesn’t get runny. Only add breast milk or formula right before serving, do not store this baby food avocado after it has been mixed with either breastmilk or formula. For the first time trying avocado, this is the best way to entice your baby with a recognizable flavor.
Homemade baby food ranges in difficulty, but this avocado puree recipe for baby is extremely easy and quick! There are two simple ways to make it: blend or mash! It will only require a few minutes of your time from start to finish. Here is how to make avocado baby food:
Prepare Avocado: Cut open your ripe avocado, remove the pit, and scoop out from the skin.
Blend: There are two methods for how to puree avocado. Blend the whole avocado in a small food processor or mash well with a fork (to make smashed avocado for baby). If you’re using a blender, I recommend a high powered blender to make this puree in bulk – like a Vitamix!
Serve: If serving immediately mix pureed avocado with breast milk, formula, or water to reach desired consistency. If freezing for later use, divide into an ice cube tray, cover, and store in the freezer. When ready to serve, thaw out the prepared avocado puree for baby, mix milk, and feed.
💭 Expert Tips
How To Choose The Best Avocado
It can be hard to find the perfect avocado! Most grocery stores have avocados available at various stages of ripeness. If you plan to make this avocado baby puree recipe in a few days from now, select hard avocados that have time to soften. If you want to make the puree right away, select an avocado that is dark brown on the outside and slightly indents when pushing against the skin. Avoid an overly ripe and mushy avocado.
Also, if you can afford it, I’d recommend using 100% organic ingredients for your baby’s food. That way you can leave the peels on most fruits and veggies (e.g. you won’t have to peel apples and pears before pureeing them), and it’s much more nutritious for your baby.
How To Cut An Avocado
Cut fresh avocados in half with a sharp knife, gently twisting to separate the two halves. Remove the pit either with your hands, or by carefully hitting your knife into it, and then twisting to remove the seed from the flesh. Scoop the avocado flesh out with a spoon.
You do not have to cut the avocado any further since you’ll be mashing or blending it. For more detailed recommendations on how to prepare avocado for baby, keep scrolling to my FAQs.
How To Season Avocado For Baby
If you want to season the avocado purée, be sure to start out with very light seasoning. You can try a small dash of lemon juice or a small pinch of garlic powder or cumin powder. For other ideas on how to prepare avocado for babies, keep reading!
How To Serve Avocado Puree To Baby
If you prefer a clean space with minimal clean up, you will want to spoon feed your baby. However, if you are opting for baby led weaning, you can place the puree in front of your little one and let them explore on their own terms. Here are some of the different ways of how to feed avocado to baby:
How you serve this homemade avocado baby food will vary by age, as well as your child’s preference.
- Avocado puree for 4 month baby: Super simple avocado is a perfect first food for babies! I recommend feeding a puree / mashed avocado for baby from 4 months and up. Place puree in a bowl and feed it to your baby with a spoon. Once they get a little older you can explore different textures and shapes.
- Avocado puree for 6 month old baby: If you are exploring baby led weaning, you can give thick strips of avocado. Place avocado on their high chair tray and let them experiment. To help with gripping, leave part of the skin on or roll the avocado slices in hemp seeds.
- Avocado puree for 9-10 month old baby: At this age your baby can enjoy more finger food. Try putting cubed avocado in baby’s bowl and let them naturally explore the taste and feel.
Ultimately, there are so many suggestions on how to feed a baby avocado. Go with what works best for you and your little one!
📖 Avocado Baby Food Combinations
Avocados are a great first food for babies, and because of their mild flavor, they pair really well with a variety of other fruits, veggies, and grains to create delicious and nutritious baby food purees! Here are a few healthy avocado puree ideas for baby to get you started:
Avocado Puree Pairings
- Soft Fruits And Veggies: If you aren’t sure of what to mix with avocado puree for baby, start with foods similar in texture like bananas, apples, or sweet potatoes puree.
- Other Fruits: Mangoes, peaches, blueberries, pineapple, and strawberries all taste great with pureed avocado.
- Green Veggies: Try other pairings like mixing with spinach, broccoli, zucchini puree or pea puree.
- Root Veggies: Veggies like potatoes, butternut squash and carrots all mix well with avocado food for baby.
- On Its Own: When your baby is little, mashed avocado on its own is great!
- With Grains: You can put the smooth puree on small sticks of toast or teething crackers. You could also mix in to baby oatmeal or baby cereal.
- With Dairy Or Plant Based Protein: Try mixing baby puree avocado with yogurt or cottage cheese! You can also puree it with chickpeas, lentils, or white beans for an avocado “hummus.”
- Different Spices: Try a pinch of lemon juice, cumin, coriander, or even curry powder.
- Avocado Puree Ideas For Toddlers: As your baby gets older try adding avocado puree to smoothies, avocado toast, guacamole, or on top of Mexican food! You can pair avocado with small pieces of chicken breast, or if you are vegan, substitute tofu. There are so many avocado recipes you can try out!
- Baby Friendly Guacamole: Try experimenting with different flavors by blending avocado with lime juice, olive oil, kosher salt, and 1 garlic clove. This is perfect to pair with Mexican recipes or Spanish recipes, and the whole family can enjoy it too!
Other Ways To Use Avocado Puree
🥑 How To Store Avocado Puree
Storing this homemade baby food is simple! And if you’ve been wondering – can you freeze pureed avocado for baby? Yes! You totally can!
To Store In The Fridge
You can choose to store extra puree in an airtight container in the fridge for the next day. Try finding small food storage containers that leave less room for air, and help evenly portion this avocado baby food stage 1 puree! You can add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or lime juice to the exposed part of the puree to prevent browning, if desired.
Divide the prepared avocado for baby evenly into an ice cube tray. Wrap tightly with plastic wrap or use a freezer storage bag. You can also find baby food container trays that come with lids to cover like these Mumi & Bubi ice cube trays. I love them because they come with a cover, a recipe book, and the cubes are super easy to get out. One ice cube is equal to 1 tablespoon or 1 ounce of food.
Once the cubes are frozen (takes about 4-6 hours), pop them out of the ice cube trays and transfer them to a ziptop freezer safe bag for easy storage.
To Reheat Or Thaw Avocado Puree Baby Food
When you are preparing avocado for baby, let it thaw in the fridge the night before use. You can also thaw by putting the puree cube in a small bowl over another bowl of hot water. Let it sit to defrost. Once defrosted, mix with breastmilk, formula or water to reach desired consistency.
Absolutely! This baby food avocado puree recipe calls for just one ingredient- avocados! You can also add extra nutrients with breast milk or formula, but there are so many benefits of this avocado for baby recipe in itself!
Avocado baby puree is one of the healthiest first foods you can give to your baby. Avocados contain 20 different vitamins and minerals including folate, potassium, vitamin B, vitamin C, vitamin E, and iron, along with dietary fiber and healthy fats to nourish baby’s brain and nervous system development. Since they are high in monounsaturated fat, baby will also feel satiated and have a happy belly!
You may be wondering – When can you introduce avocados to baby? This will depend on their own personal development and when they are ready to start solid foods, but typically it’s around 4-6 months of age.
Pay attention to gross motor skills for an indication that your baby is ready! This could include having strong neck and head control, sitting, and lifting objects to the mouth. Starting with a stage 1 avocado puree is a great option to get them used to a new texture and taste.
Yes, avocado contains soluble fiber and enzymes making it very easy to digest! This mashed avocado baby food is also high in fat, similar to the fat content of breastmilk, making it both filling and gentle on tummies.
No, avocado is not considered to be a common allergen for babies! However, if this is your first time giving avocado to baby I recommend starting off with a smaller portion of baby avocado puree and waiting for 2-3 days to observe for any signs of an allergic reaction such as a rash or upset stomach.
Can I mix puree avocado with milk for baby? You sure can! For an avocado stage 1 baby food try mixing with breastmilk, mixing with formula, or mixing with regular milk for a very soft and smooth avocado purée. The key is to only mix with breastmilk or formula right before serving. Never mix with breastmilk or formula and store it, as your puree will only be good for about 1-2 hours once it’s been mixed.
While technically you can steam avocado mash for baby, you don’t have to! There isn’t any need to steam or cook avocado for baby food since it is already so soft and creamy! Making avocado baby food is super easy and you do not have to worry about extra steps like you might with other produce. Simply cut, scoop, and mash for an easy creamy purée.
🥣 More Healthy Recipes For Baby Food!
Love this plant based baby food recipe? Please leave a 5-star rating 🌟 in the recipe below and/or a review in the comments section further down the page!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, and PINTEREST to see more delicious, healthy, family-friendly food, and if you have any questions, I’m here to help!
📋 Recipe Card
Avocado Puree: Baby’s First Food
Creamy avocado puree is a great first food for your baby! Avocados are super healthy, packed with essential nutrients for growth and development. This simple recipe requires no special equipment and is ready in less than 5 minutes! Avocado baby food is one of the easiest purees you can make for your baby, and will quickly made your list of favorite baby food recipes! And the best part? Babies love it!!
Servings: 4 servings
If Serving Fresh / Immediately
- Use ripe avocados that are soft and easy to mash.
- Store the puree in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- If you are making this puree to store in the fridge or freezer, do not add breastmilk or formula before storing it. Only add breastmilk or formula right before serving.
- Each ice cube = 1oz of food. Also, as your baby gets used to solids, you don’t have to thin out the avocado at all.
Calories: 80kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 4mg | Potassium: 244mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 0.3g