These banana breakfast muffins are moist, fluffy, and healthier with whole wheat flour, Greek yogurt, and zero butter or refined sugar. Loaded with delicious banana flavor and warm spices for the perfect morning muffin!
Is there anything better than warm, cozy banana bread? Well, make muffins and you can enjoy them all week! These healthy banana breakfast muffins are moist, super fluffy, and the best part is they’re easy to make in just 30 minutes. These muffins are made healthier with whole wheat flour, Greek yogurt, and naturally sweetened with banana and honey, so no sugar needed! You can also mix in chocolate chips or chopped nuts for even more flavor and texture. I’m sure your family will love them!
Why you’ll love these cupcakes
- So much banana flavor in every bite!
- Made with 100% whole grains, Greek yogurt and zero butter or refined sugar.
- Easily customizable with fun combinations like chocolate chips, chopped nuts, shredded coconut, dried fruit or fresh berries.
- It can easily be made into banana bread or bite-sized mini muffins for little hands.
- Freezer safe so enjoy all season long!
Ingredients you will need
- Wholemeal pastry flour – I love baking with whole wheat pastry flour because it has all the nutritional benefits of whole wheat flour while making these muffins light and fluffy. I recommend using this, but if you don’t have any on hand, you can use white wholemeal or regular all-purpose flour.
- Bicarbonate of sodium – acts as a leavening agent to help these muffins rise
- bananas – makes these muffins moist and adds extra sweetness
- eggs – adds protein and gives these muffins their structure and height
- honey – sweeten the cupcakes without using refined sugar, but you can also use maple syrup or even regular sugar
- coconut oil – for extra moisture and fluffiness! Feel free to replace it with another type of oil if you prefer or even butter
- greek yogurt – This helps reduce the amount of oil we have to use and helps keep the muffins moist. You can also use applesauce or mashed banana
- milk – I used almond milk, but any kind of milk will work in this recipe
- Warm flavors – a delicious combination of cinnamon and vanilla extract
- Rolled oats – optional topping for a little extra nutrition
How to make banana breakfast muffins
- Mix the ingredients. In a large bowl, whisk together the wholemeal pastry flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, then set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, mashed bananas, Greek yogurt, milk, melted coconut oil, and vanilla, mixing until combined.
- Make the dough. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix with a spatula until just combined, being careful not to over mix the batter. This is when you can throw in any combination you like, such as chocolate chips or chopped nuts. Generously coat a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray (or use paper liners) and divide batter evenly among 12 muffin cups, making sure to fill each cup almost completely. Sprinkle the top with rolled oats, if desired.
- BAKE! Bake the muffins in a 350 degree F oven for 18 to 22 minutes (mine came out perfect at 20 minutes), or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let the muffins cool in the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.
Preparation and storage
To save: You can keep these muffins stored in a closed, airtight container or wrapped in aluminum foil on the counter at room temperature for up to a day, but be sure to refrigerate after that to keep them longer. These muffins will last up to a week in the fridge in a sealed container.
To freeze: These cupcakes also freeze great! You can wrap the muffins individually in plastic wrap or store them all together in freezer-safe bags. When ready to eat, simply microwave them for 30-40 seconds or simply thaw them at room temperature. They will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months!
More muffin recipes you’ll love
I hope you enjoy these Banana Breakfast Muffins and if you love this recipe as much as we do, please leave me a five star rating below and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram with #eatyourselfskinny! I love seeing all of your delicious recreations!
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups wholemeal pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 cup natural Greek yogurt
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1/3 cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- Sprinkle rolled oats (optional topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt; aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, Greek yogurt, mashed bananas, milk, coconut oil, and vanilla until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and mix with a spatula until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Divide batter evenly between 12 muffin cups sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (or you can use liners) making sure to fill each cup almost completely. Sprinkle the top with rolled oats, if desired.
- Bake muffins for 18 to 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, then let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- Serving Size: 1 cupcake
- Calories: 159
- Sugar: 10.3 g
- Sodium: 172.6 mg
- Fat: 4.6 g
- Saturated fat: 3.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.2 g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4 g
*Please note that all nutritional information are estimates only. Values will vary between brands, so we recommend that you calculate them yourself for more accurate results.