These really are the best banana pancake on the Internet! Made with whole wheat flour, ripe bananas and coconut oil Healthy banana pancakes recipe is the perfect weekend breakfast.
Best recipe for banana pancakes
Good morning banana pancakes, you’ve never looked more beautiful. We’re HUGE pancake fans here at Fit Foodie Finds. We love all kinds – carrot cake pancakes, peanut butter pancakes, chocolate chip pancakes, and lemon ricotta pancakes to name a few.
These banana pancakes are quite simply the best pancakes on our site. Why? Because they are simple and yet so perfect. We have a tradition in our house called Pancake Saturday (and sometimes Pancake Sunday) and this banana pancake recipe tops the charts.
What makes these healthy banana pancakes special?
If you’re wondering why we call these healthy banana pancakes, here are a few reasons why:
100% whole grain
No refined sugar
What you need
- white whole wheat flour – All-purpose flour will probably work 1:1, but do not Try substituting coconut flour and/or almond flour.
- baking powder – Baking powder is used as a leavening agent.
- Cinammon – Cinnamon brings out the sweet banana flavor. Don’t skip it!
- banana – the STAR ingredient when I make it myself.
- eggs – Don’t leave out your eggs or swap them out for a flaxseed egg. We didn’t test that in this recipe. If you’re looking for vegan banana pancakes <- try these.
- Vanilla – Tired of vanilla? Try a squirt of almond extract.
- Almond milk – any kind of milk works!
- melted coconut milk – Desire? Use melted butter OR brown butter instead of coconut oil.
The main ingredient for banana pancakes
The main ingredient for banana pancakes is –> BANANA. But not an old banana. Make sure you use ripe bananaslike the kind with the spots.
If anything, make sure your bananas are bright yellow in color. If they’re green, they won’t be super cute.
How to make banana pancakes
Ready to make healthy banana pancakes in 30 minutes? Let’s begin! Remember to scroll down to the recipe card for the full ingredient list and instructions.
First mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix everything together with a whisk and set aside.
Next, mash your bananas with a fork until there are few to no lumps left. Then add eggs and stir them into the banana.
Add vanilla and almond milk and blend again.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture until there are no dry clumps.
Finally add melted coconut oil and mix again to combine.
Heat a non-stick skillet or griddle over medium-high heat. Then spray with coconut oil cooking spray. Option to use butter here instead.
When the oil is hot, add about 1/3 cup of the batter to the pan and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, turning when bubbles form in the center of the pancakes.
Make sure to keep an eye on your banana pancakes so they don’t burn. Repeat this process until all of the pancake batter is gone.
Best Banana Pancake Toppings
A pancake is not a pancake without toppings. Here are our favorite banana pancake toppings!
- maple syrup
- Sliced Banana
- nut butter
- coconut flakes
Banana pancake variations
- use applesauce: can not banana? Just swap out the mashed banana for about 1 cup of applesauce or even pumpkin. Any pureed fruit will work.
- Add chocolate chips: Chocolate chips make everything better, try adding 1/2 cup chocolate chips to the batter.
- Berry: Banana Blueberry Pancakes? YES, PLEASE. Add 1 pint of your favorite berry (fresh or frozen) to your banana pancake batter.
- Prepare Pancake Muffins: Pancake muffins are one of my favorite things to make when I’m feeling extra lazy. All you have to do is fill a muffin pan with batter and bake at 350ºF for 15-17 minutes. Try our Banana Pancake Muffin Recipe!
- Add protein powder: Swap out 1/4 cup of flour for 1/4 cup of your favorite protein powder.
new potatoes: Crunchy breakfast potatoes + banana pancakes are undoubtedly a winning combination.
Bacon: Bacon + Banana Pancakes are a real dream. If you’re cooking for a crowd try our Oven Baked Bacon or our Air Fyer Bacon or Microwave Bacon if you’re cooking for 1 or 2 people.
Peanut butter: Whether you use homemade peanut butter, Jif, or my favorite, Smucker’s, peanut butter ALWAYS goes well with bananas.
eggs: Want a little more protein? Whip up fluffy scrambled eggs or even make 1 or 2 hard boiled eggs!
Do you have leftover healthy banana pancakes? Allow to cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 3-5 days.
Can you freeze banana pancakes?
Pancakes are such a great breakfast recipe to make ahead. Follow these quick instructions on how to freeze and thaw banana pancakes!
- Let pancakes cool completely. Then wrap 2 pancakes together with a piece of aluminum foil. Remove as much air as possible.
- Write: Banana pancakes on the aluminum foil together with the best before date (3 months after production) on it.
- Repeat until all pancakes are gone. Freeze up to 3 months.
Thawing + warming up:
- To thaw, take a couple of pancakes out of the freezer.
- Remove the aluminum foil and let it rest for a few minutes to separate the 2 pancakes.
- Place pancakes in toaster and toast for a few minutes. Alternatively, you can defrost in the microwave.