When we think of Black Eyed Peas we generally think of stews and pork products, so it was fun experimenting with this in a fresh vegetable and herb salad. Black-eyed peas, especially our new peas, can overcook quickly, so keep an eye on the pot when cooking them for a salad.
Any solid old bean would work in a salad like this. You could substitute another fresh herb, but finding fresh mint really brings this dish together.
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons Rancho Gordo pineapple vinegar or white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked Rancho Gordo Black Eyed Peas, drained and cooled
- 1½ cups grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- ½ an English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- ¼ of a red onion, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- Feta Cheese (optional)
For 2 to 4 people
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, olive oil, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the black eyed peas, carrots, cucumber, scallions, red onions, and mint.
- Pour the dressing over the Black Eyed Peas Salad. Mix well to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings, adding more vinegar, salt, and/or pepper as needed. Finally, sprinkle with some feta if you like.