So easy Blueberry Crisp is made with simple ingredients like blueberries, lemon juice and flour and is topped with golden sprinkles. It’s the perfect summer dessert!
Crunchy blueberry crisp
Is there anything better than a Blueberry Crisp with a naturally sweet blueberry filling and a crumbly golden topping? We think: No! This blueberry crisp is tart, sweet, and takes no time to make.
We are obsessed with all things blueberries. Our blueberry cobbler is a new favorite and you can’t go wrong with blueberry muffins or blueberry banana bread.
Why we love this blueberry crisp
- If you have leftover blueberries, this is a great way to make a delicious dessert out of plain old blueberries.
- You only need 10 ingredients for this blueberry crisp recipe.
- It’s a healthier dessert option.
- This Blueberry Crisp recipe is the perfect BBQ side!
ingredients you need
- blueberry While we used fresh blueberries in this recipe, frozen blueberries work too.
- vanilla extract– Mixing the blueberries with some vanilla extract adds the perfect dessert flavor to any recipe.
- lemon juice– Lemon juice adds citrus and balances the sweetness of the blueberries with some acidity.
- White Whole Wheat Flour– You will need flour for both the blueberry filling and the blueberry crisp topping.
- Salt– The salt in this recipe enhances all the flavors of this blueberry crisp recipe.
- oatmeal– The oatmeal in the blueberry crisp topping provides bite and a delicious golden brown colour.
- Light Brown Sugar– We sweeten the oatmeal with some brown sugar.
- butter– The butter acts both as a binder for the topping and for the perfect golden brown color.
Don’t have everything you need for this recipe, or want to make a backup recipe? Here are some options!
white whole wheat flour -> all-purpose flour or almond flour
Oatmeal–> Quick Cook Oatmeal
light brown sugar–> white sugar or maple syrup
Tools You May Need
We always prefer fresh blueberries, but frozen blueberries will do just fine too! You can also use blueberries, raspberries and strawberries! If you’ve got all three, check out our Triple Berry Crisp!
We recommend freezing the blueberry chips before baking. Prepare the Blueberry Crisp recipe as directed in a freezer and oven safe container. Cover the container with cling film and freeze until ready to prepare the chips. Why freeze? Make this dessert recipe for family and friends (or yourself) to have a dessert recipe on hand for last minute get togethers.
Adding flour to the blueberry filling acts as a thickening agent in the blueberry crisp.
Yes, we recommend keeping the blueberry crisp covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Why is my blueberry crisp soggy?
Your blueberry crisp is likely to be mushy due to the moisture content of the blueberries. For this reason, we recommend turning your blueberries in flour before baking. This creates a nice, thick blueberry filling.
How to Crisp Blueberries
- Mix the ingredients for the blueberry filling. Place the blueberries, flour, vanilla, lemon juice, and salt in a bowl. Mix the ingredients together.
- Prepare the topping. In a separate bowl, combine rolled oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, and softened butter and knead ingredients together until you have a cookie dough consistency.
- Layer the ingredients. Pour the blueberries into a greased 9×9 baking dish. Scatter the topping over the blueberry filling.
- Bake. Place the blueberry chips in the oven and bake at 375°F (375°F) for 30 minutes. Then cover them with aluminum foil and bake for another 15 minutes.
- let it cool down Remove the chips from the oven and let them cool for 10-15 minutes. This is important as it allows the blueberry filling to thicken perfectly.
Additives and toppings
It’s always fun to mix things up by adding ingredients to the sprinkles topping! Below are some fun ideas!
- sliced almonds
- chopped pecans
just do it
Print out your own
Keep common kitchen conversions like tablespoon to teaspoon and Fahrenheit to Celsius at hand with our Printable kitchen conversion diagram.
Get it now. Learn more about kitchen remodels
First, preheat the oven to 375F and spray a 9″ x 9″ casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Next, place all of the ingredients for the filling in a large bowl and mix together. Pour into the casserole dish and set aside.
Prepare the crumbles in a medium-sized bowl. Mix all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon, using your hands if necessary. Make sure the butter is soft so you can make a delicious crumble topping.
Place the streusel topping on the berries, making sure it’s evenly distributed.
Place crumbles in the oven and bake at 180°C for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, cover with aluminum foil. Then place back in the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.
Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Calories: 272kcal Carbohydrates: 40G Protein: 3G Fat: 12G Fiber: 5G Sugar: 13G
Photography: The photos captured in this post are by Erin from The Wooden Skillet.