What if I told you you could put a brownie in a chocolate chip cookie? PERPLEXED. These soft and gooey chocolate chip cookies have a fiddly brownie center so you get the best of both worlds in one bite.
Chocolate chip cookies filled with brownie
If you love brownies but also love cookies, you’ve come to the right place. You get the best of both worlds with these brownie-filled chocolate chip cookies. After all, we shouldn’t have to choose between brownies and cookies these days. How could you choose between the two?! Brownies are the perfect dessert—rich, crunchy, super chocolatey, and indulgent. At the same time, chocolate chip cookies are one of the best things you can eat. Just the thought of having to choose between them makes my head ache.
Luckily, with these brownie-filled chocolate chip cookies AKA, you don’t have to settle for a salty-sweet, chewy chocolate chip cookie with the perfect crunchy, chocolaty brownie cookie. Together they form the pinnacle of dessert perfection.
What are Brownie Filled Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Everyone stands – I present to you Brownie-Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies. You’re almost too good. Alex and I have eaten them every night this week. We put all the cookies in a Tupperware container and instead of keeping them in the kitchen, we left them on the bottom shelf of our coffee table. You know, for easy access.
And every night we would look at each other with our mouths full and nod. Like a little Yes they are perfect but I can’t say anything right now because I savor every single bite. And I’m 100% sure you will too.
How to make chocolate chip cookies filled with brownies
These filled chocolate chip cookies require a little more maintenance than most other cookies, but they are SO worth it. To make these chocolate chip cookies, you must first bake the wrapped brownies according to the package directions. (Remember, the better the box mix, the better these cookies taste. I used Ghirardelli boxed brownies as they are the highest quality brownies available at my grocery store).
- When the brownies are completely cool, cut them into small squares. You can then start making the chocolate chip cookies!
- First cream the butter and sugar together, being careful to use room temperature butter for the best texture and flavor. Add the egg and vanilla, then mix in the dry ingredients.
- Now comes the slightly tricky part: filling the cookies. To fill the cookies, you must first scoop out 1 1/2 tablespoons of cookie dough and flatten it slightly in the palm of your hand. Then take one of the brownie squares and shape it into a disk. Place the brownie slice on top of the flattened cookie dough, then place another piece of cookie dough on top. Gently pinch the edges of the cookie dough, flattening the filled chocolate chip cookie as needed so the center isn’t to thick.
- Once you start making these chocolate chip cookies, you’ll see what I mean! But please let me know if you are confused with any of the steps in this recipe.
Happy baking, my friends! Enjoy your brownie-filled chocolate chip cookies.
Brownie Filled Chocolate Chip Cookies combine the best of both worlds – a crunchy brownie center and soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies!
- 1 Boxed brownie mix, baked according to package directions (I used Ghirardelli Double Chocolate!)*
- 3/4 Cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Cup Brown sugar
- 1/4 Cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Bake the brownie mixture in an 8×8 pan according to package directions. Let cool, then cut into 25 squares (5 rows by 5).
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Stir in dry ingredients and chocolate chips.
- Scoop out 1.5 tablespoons of batter and flatten slightly into a thick pancake (see pictures for details). Take a brownie square and shape it into a disk, then place it on top of the cookie dough. Scoop out another 1.5 tablespoons of batter, flatten slightly and place on top of the brownie disc. Pinch the edges of the cookie dough between your hands and flatten the entire ball of dough a little more so it’s about 3/4 inch thick in the center. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets (you will need 2). Repeat with the rest of the batter (you’ll have extra brownies to nibble on!). Cover the bowls with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, but up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake cookies for 15 minutes. They are easily undercooked, but will continue to cook as they cool. Allow to cool slightly before placing in a refrigerated section. Then eat all the cookies.
* Undercook your brownies. You want them to be fiddly, not cakey!
More Chocolate Cookie Recipes from Broma Bakery:
Cookies with salted olive oil and chocolate chips
Copycat Levain Bakery Chocolate Chip Cookies
Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
White Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies