Our Easy Buffalo Chicken Burritos made with brown rice, veggies, buffalo chicken, and cheese are both comforting and filling. They’re a complete meal in a convenient, hand-held wrap, or served with blue cheese or ranch dressing and vegetable sticks, if desired. They are also suitable for preparing meals.
Why We Love These Easy Buffalo Chicken Burritos
Like most of you, here at Healthy Seasonal Recipes we are a busy family who are usually on the road. And there are evenings when we don’t have time to prepare a healthy, substantial meal. That’s why we’re always on the lookout for simple, easy to make, irresistible recipes to help our readers have a healthy lunch or Weekday dinners on the table in no time.
Filled with hearty brown rice, flavorful buffalo chicken, tender veggies, and gooey cheese, these wraps are not only filling but packed with flavor. Pair it with blue cheese dressing to balance out the spiciness of the buffalo sauce for an easy meal the whole family is sure to enjoy!
- Great way to use leftover chicken for a quick and easy weeknight lunch or dinner
- Can be customized with your favorite hot sauces, rice and cheese
- Convenient, high-protein, complete meal
- Ready in just 30 minutes
Main ingredients for this recipe
- Leftover Chicken: Feel free to use leftover chopped or shredded chicken or rotisserie chicken. We love using leftovers from our Dry Rub Spice Roasted Chicken for this recipe because the chili powder and spices make these burritos even more delicious! You can also poach chicken breasts instead. Here’s how.
- Flour Tortillas or Wraps: For these easy burritos, we used 10-inch flour wraps, also known as large burrito-sized tortillas. When purchasing, be sure to buy a pack of 6 wraps as some brands only have 4 which is not enough!
- Brown rice: To make these burritos quickly, we used a bag of pre-cooked brown rice; However, you can use leftover cooked rice or prepare the rice and let it cool before adding it to the mixture.
- buffalo sauce: We love the classic buffalo flavor of Frank’s RedHot® Original Buffalo Wings Sauce, but you can use your favorite or even make your own!
- Vegetables: For extra nutrition and to make this easy wrap a complete meal, we’ve loaded it with sweet veggies. We used a combination of celery, carrots, and diced onion. Feel free to use scallions or red onions if you like.
- Cheese: We used Monterey Jack, which melts beautifully and the mild creaminess pairs perfectly with the tangy flavors, but you can also use cheddar cheese.
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing: We highly recommend serving these Buffalo Chicken Wraps with blue cheese or ranch dressing. Feel free to use your favorite store-bought dressing or our homemade Greek Yogurt Ranch Dressing.
Step-by-step instructions for this recipe
Step 1: Fry the vegetables
In a large non-stick pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and salt, stirring frequently until the vegetables are tender.
Step 2: Add chicken and sauce
Add the chicken, hot sauce, and melted butter to the vegetables. Cook until chicken is heated through.
Step 3: Assemble Burritos
Place tortillas on a work surface. Add a few tablespoons of buffalo chicken and vegetable mixture to the rice. Top with cheese. Wrap and tuck the sides for a tight burrito wrap and seal the seam side down.
Top: If your tortillas are stiff or not very pliable, you can microwave tortillas for a few seconds to soften them. Simply wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave in 20-second batches until hot and tender.
Step 4: Fry the burritos
Coat a clean large skillet (preferably nonstick) with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add burritos to pan and brown on each side. Cut in half to enjoy and serve with dressing!
FAQs and expert tips
Make ahead and freeze
Get ahead: Coat aluminum foil sheets with cooking spray. Wrap each burrito in a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Cooling for up to three (3) days. When ready to enjoy, preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the foil-wrapped burritos on the oven rack. Bake until burritos are hot and cheese is melted, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Freeze: Coat aluminum foil sheets with cooking spray. Wrap each burrito in a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. In a freezer safe ziplock bag holds up to three (3) Months. When ready to enjoy the burritos, thaw them in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, bake the foil wrapped burritos in a 350°F oven until the burritos are hot and the cheese is melted, about 20 to 30 minutes.
Variations to try
While we love the simplicity and classic flavors of this buffalo chicken burrito recipe, feel free to make these easy and delicious swaps:
- Feel free to use your favorite hot sauce or our second favorite Texas Petes
- If you don’t have any chicken left, these wraps go great with grilled or poached chicken.
- Serve with crunchy romaine lettuce or creamy sour cream.
- Serve over cauliflower rice in place of tortillas to make a buffalo chicken burrito bowl
- Use cooked chicken, turkey, or ground beef in place of leftover chicken.
How to cook chicken when you don’t have any spare chicken
Poaching a boneless, skinless chicken breast couldn’t be easier! Here are two easy steps to do this:
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, let the chicken come to room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the boiling water, cover and bring the pot back to a boil. Remove the pot from the heat and let sit for 35 minutes, until the center of the chicken reads 165°F when tested with an instant-read thermometer.
Once browned and cut in half, serve with a side of our healthy coleslaw, crispy vegetable sticks, and a homemade cool blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping for a quick, easy, and flavorful family-friendly meal. These also pair with side dishes you would normally serve with Mexican food, Spanish rice, or black beans.
Additional recipes to try
Thank you for reading! If you’re new here, you might want to sign up for my email newsletter to get a free weekly menu plan and the latest recipes straight to your inbox. If you make this recipe, please come back and Leave a star rating and review. I’d love to hear what you think!
Have fun cooking! ~Kati
Our Easy Buffalo Chicken Burritos made with brown rice, veggies, buffalo chicken, and cheese are both comforting and filling. They’re a complete meal in a convenient hand wrap, or can be served with blue cheese or ranch dressing and vegetable sticks if desired. They are also suitable for preparing meals.
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 1 Pounds of cooked leftover chicken, chopped or shredded
- 1/3 cup Frank’s Original Hot Sauce
- 3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 6 large (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 8-ounce bag of pre-cooked brown rice (or 1 ½ cups cooked chilled rice)
- 6 ounces shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup store-bought or homemade blue cheese or ranch dressing, for serving
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables are tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add chicken, hot sauce, and melted butter and cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Lay the tortillas on the work surface. Spread the rice over the tortillas. Spread the chicken and vegetables over the tortillas. Top with cheese. Wrap burritos, tuck in sides and seal seam side down.
- Wash and dry the pan. Coat with cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add the burritos and sear about 2 minutes per side.
- Halve burritos and serve with dressing.
Get ahead: Coat aluminum foil with cooking spray. Wrap each burrito in a large sheet of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Refrigerate for up to three (3) days. When you’re ready to enjoy, SHeat oven to 350°F. Place the foil-wrapped burritos on the oven rack. Bake until burritos are hot and cheese is melted, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preparation time: 18 minutes
- Cooking time: 12 minutes
- Category: main course
- Method: stovetop
- Kitchen: American
- Serving size: 1 burrito
- Calories: 544
- Sugar: 3 g
- Fat: 26 g
- Carbohydrates: 38 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 38 g
Keywords: Buffalo burrito, buffalo chicken burrito, buffalo chicken burritos, buffalo chicken wraps healthy, buffalo chicken wraps, buffalo chicken wrap