Spice up your next barbecue with it Cajun Potato Salad Loaded with recipe vegetables and dressed in a tangy Cajun dressing, this Cajun Potato Salad will impress your friends at the next potluck, picnic, or outing.
Cajun potato salad? Yes! Instead of plain, traditional potato salad, try this Cajun Potato Salad recipe. When I think about the taste of Cajun food, it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. I love spicy food, but Cajun potato salad is in a league of its own. Cajun seasoning has a bold, spicy flavor with a subtle earthiness that adds a satisfying flavor to any dish.
When you add Cajun seasoning to creamy potato salad, the results are amazing. So, let’s make a delicious vegan Cajun potato salad recipe to bring to your next potluck or barbecue.
The beauty of using any spice is adding the right spice levels to please individual palates. For example, I like it spicy. However, this Cajun potato salad recipe is mild in flavor. If you want to spice it up, add more Cajun seasoning. Remember, though, that spices are easy to add but cannot be removed once added, so thread lightly.
What does Cajun taste like?
While many make their own Cajun seasoning blends, my favorite brand is Slap Ya Mama Cajun Natural Cajun Seasoning. Not too spicy and full of flavor from Louisiana, this Cajun blend works with any dish. Use as a rub for grilling, smoking, or baking vegetables or tofu. Add Cajun flavor to jambalaya, gumbo, vegan Cajun pasta or Cajun pasta salad. Even add some spice to your Bloody Mary or beer if you dare!
Whenever I make Cajun potato salad, I choose Yukon Gold potatoes for their thin, smooth, eye-free skin and yellow-tinged flesh and buttery flavor.
- Yukon Gold Potatoes: The golden flesh of Yukon Gold potatoes is rich in flavor and fairly firm and moist, with moderate starch content. A perfect compromise between dry, fluffy russet potatoes and moist, waxy varieties, Yukon Golds are incredibly versatile. They’re great for mashing and in soups and chowders, and they’re also great for roasting and sautéing.
- green onions (scallions): Scallions have the sharp, slightly spicy, peppery flavor that white and yellow onions produce. This makes them an excellent alternative to chopped onions in a pinch.
- the carrot: Carrots are sweet, woody, and earthy with a noticeable hardness.
- Parsley: Parsley has a bright, herbaceous, and slightly bitter flavor that works as a contrast to emphasize other flavors in a dish, like lemon zest.
- Celery: Celery has a strong but subtle earthy and grassy flavor while lettuce has a mild grassy and slightly sweet flavor. It brings a fabulous crunch to potato salad.
- Red pepper bells: Red bells are sweet, not bitter, and often have a slight citrus flavor.
- jalapeño: Jalapenos are actually milder than most hot peppers. Always use gloves when handling jalapeños. Remove the seeds and veins. However, if you want to add more heat, add a few seeds.
Substitute salad ingredients
- Choose any desired potato; Skin on or off.
- Use green or yellow bell peppers or baby bell peppers for a variety of color.
- Replace green onions with red onions for a sweeter onion flavor.
- Fresno peppers are often substituted for jalapeño peppers.
- Replace the parsley with cilantro or basil for a different herb flavor.
Salad dressing ingredients
To make the dressing, start with vegan cashew mayo and add the following ingredients:
- Dijon Mustard: Dijon mustard has a tangy, sharp and strong flavor with a hint of spice.
- Yellow Mustard: Yellow mustard has a crisp, tart-and-tangy flavor that won’t clear anyone’s sinuses with the spice.
- Garlic: Overall, garlic has a sharp flavor profile with oniony, herbaceous, and slightly sulfurous notes.
- Smoked Paprika: Smoked paprika has a smoky and spicy flavor with a hint of sweetness. Mildly smoked paprika doesn’t have much sweetness, but it does have some heat to it
- Cajun Spice: Cajun seasoning has a bold spicy flavor (from cayenne and paprika) with a subtle earthiness (provided by garlic, onion, and herbs).
Replace the dressing
- For a nut-free option, use silken tofu or white beans instead of nuts.
- For a less smoky flavor, choose paprika instead of smoked paprika.
- Stone ground mustard is a good alternative to Dijon mustard.
- Make your own Cajun seasoning with paprika, cayenne, garlic powder, pepper and oregano.
Next, mix the dressing into the ingredients by gently folding in the potatoes and vegetables in the large bowl.
How to Make Cajun Potato Salad
- First, cut the Yukon Gold potatoes into bite-sized pieces. This not only ensures even cooking, but it also allows for easy eating! Leave the skins on or remove the skins for optimal nutrition
- Once sliced, boil the potatoes for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. However, the time may vary depending on the size of the potato slices; Larger ones require longer cooking and smaller pieces require less time
- To properly cool potatoes, drop them in a colander and immediately run cold water over them, making sure all the potatoes reach the colander.
- When the potatoes are cool to the touch, transfer to a large bowl and add the assorted vegetables.
- Next, mix the dressing into the ingredients by gently folding in the potatoes and vegetables in the large bowl.
- As a result, the potatoes remain intact and the potato salad is ready for refrigeration.
Cajun potato salad’s flavors develop as it cools, so don’t add any additional seasonings until it’s chilled for about an hour. Then, taste and adjust.
I served this potato salad recipe with a buffalo chickpea wrap, but this slightly spicy potato salad goes well with tofu burgers, vegan sloppy joes, and grilled vegetable kabobs.
Boiling time depends on the size of the cut potatoes. For potato salad, we recommend cutting medium to large potatoes into large chunks before boiling. After boiling, cut them into bite-sized pieces: this helps the potatoes to cook more evenly and stay together.
The key to perfectly cooked potatoes is to start them in a bowl of cold water where they are completely submerged.
It’s important to let your potatoes cool before adding any kind of dressing, whether mayonnaise-based or vinegar-based.
- Leave skins on potatoes to add texture and nutritional value.
- Cut the potatoes into uniform sizes, so that they cook evenly.
- Use a vegetable chopper For a quick and easy way to cut vegetables of uniform size.
- Allow the potatoes to cool before adding to the other ingredients and making the dressing.
- Once dressed, refrigerate the salad for an hour or so to allow the flavors to develop.
If you like it spicy, try this Cajun Potato Salad recipe at your next family barbecue or get-together!
Suggested Salad Recipes
If you like this Cajun Potato Salad, give us a 5-star review and leave a comment below. We want to hear from you!
Cajun Potato Salad
Spice up your next barbecue with this Cajun Potato Salad recipe. Loaded with vegetables and dressed in a tangy Cajun dressing, this Cajun potato salad will impress your friends at the next potluck, picnic, or outing.
2 tablespoons of yellow mustard
Cajun Potato Salad
Wash the Yukon Gold potatoes and cut them into bite-sized pieces.
Fill a large pot halfway with cold water; This allows the potatoes to cook evenly – all 2 teaspoons of salt.
Then add the chopped potatoes to the bowl of cold water and salt.
Bring the water to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-high and simmer for 20 minutes.
Test the potatoes by using a fork to pierce the potato wedges. Cooking time may vary based on the size of the potato slices.
Transfer the cooked potatoes to a skin colander and immediately run cold water over the potatoes, stopping the cooking process.
Be sure to move the colander through the water, so that all the potato pieces cool evenly.
Now, transfer the cooled potatoes to a bowl.
Add chopped and chopped vegetables.
Then, make the dressing.
Make 1 Cashew Mayo recipe, using vegan mayo of choice or replacing nuts with white beans or silken tofu.
Take 1 cup of vegan cashew mayo and place in a small bowl.
Add other ingredients and stir to combine.
Fold in potatoes and vegetables.
Cover at least one hour before serving.
Taste and adjust Cajun seasoning. If you like it hotter, add 1 teaspoon at a time, but be careful. Each has a different spice meter.
Serve as a side dish with your favorite food.
- Cut the potatoes into equal sized pieces, so that the potatoes are cooked evenly.
- Do not wash potatoes in cold water. Instead, drain the potatoes and let cool completely before adding any other potato salad ingredients or dressing.
- For a nut-free option, choose store-bought vegan mayo or substitute silken tofu or white beans for the nuts in the dressing.
- Use a vegetable chopper To speed up and cut vegetables of the same size.
Calories: 113kcalSugars: 13gProtein: 2gFat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fats: 0.1gMonounsaturated fats: 0.1gSodium: 80mgPotassium: 321mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 1678IUVitamin C: 25mgCalcium: 19mgIron: 1mg
Oh! My name is Kathy, I am a retired high school English teacher and vegetarian and blogger. My entire blog is completely plant-based vegan. I truly believe that what we eat and how we live determines our health and the preservation of our planet! 🙂