These tofu tacos have become our must-have for taco night! It takes 30 minutes to prep and you only need to wash one bowl (if you line your baking sheet with it). Y’all know this is my kind of meal.
Not only are they easy to make, but they’re packed with flavor and protein. We’re talking 10 grams per taco! Of course, this depends on the brand of tofu and tortilla you use, but in general, they’re a great source of plant-based protein.
Tofu Taco Ingredients
- Tofu- I recommend using firm or extra firm tofu as it has the best texture for this recipe. My favorite is Trader Joe’s High Protein Tofu because not only is it the highest protein tofu I’ve found, but it’s also organic and very affordable. Win win.
- black bean Using canned black beans makes this recipe super quick. Be sure to drain and rinse them, especially if they have salt added (I always buy unsalted). If you’re not a fan of black beans, feel free to use your favorite beans instead.
- salsa Most of the flavor comes from the salsa, so be sure to use a salsa that you enjoy and isn’t too spicy for your liking.
- Olive oil- Just a few tablespoons of olives make the cooking process easier while the tofu and beans bake in the oven. I haven’t tested it without oil, but if you’re oil-free you might be able to do without it altogether.
- tamari Soy sauce (or tamari, which is simply gluten-free soy sauce) gives the tofu a savory umami flavor, so I don’t recommend skipping it.
- Spices- A mixture of chili powder, cumin and smoked paprika gives the tofu a delicious smoky flavor. Simply Organic is my favorite chili powder and I find it very mild. The spiciness of some chili powders may vary. So make sure your chili powder is the spice level you prefer before using it in the recipe.
- nutritional yeast If you are unfamiliar with nutritional yeast, here I have a blog post that explains it. We use it to give the tofu an even heartier, slightly cheesy flavor. It’s not strictly necessary, but I think it adds a lot of flavor that I personally wouldn’t go without.
How to make tofu tacos
Tip for preparation: You can prepare up to step 3 and then cover the bowl and refrigerate until ready to cook. Let the tofu mixture sit at room temperature while the oven preheats, then bake as directed. Depending on how cold the mixture is when you start baking, you may need to cook for a few minutes.
- Crumble the tofu on a tea towel. This step helps the tofu release some of the moisture, which improves the texture.
- Whisk together the oil, tamari, and spices in a large bowl. Add the crumbled tofu and stir until evenly coated.
- Add the black beans, salsa, and nutritional yeast to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Serve warm with tortillas and your desired toppings and enjoy!
Looking for easier dinner ideas?
Easy tofu tacos
These tofu tacos are made mostly from pantry ingredients and made in one bowl in just 30 minutes!
Servings: 12 tacos
- 14 ounces firm tofu, I love Trader Joe’s high-protein tofu
- 2 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Tamari, or soy sauce/coconut amino acids
- 2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ Cup salsa
- 15 ounces canned black beans, drain and rinse
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 12 Tortillas
- Desired toppings such as lettuce, tomato, sour cream, cheese, avocado etc.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a dry tea towel. Pat the tofu dry with a separate towel or paper towels. Using your fingers, crumble the tofu over the tea towel on the baking sheet, making sure it’s evenly distributed. Let it sit and “dry” while you prepare the marinade.
In a large bowl, combine oil, tamari, and spices (chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt). Stir to combine.
Transfer the tofu from the towel to the bowl with the spices. Stir until everything is evenly coated.
Add the salsa, beans, and nutritional yeast to the bowl. Stir to combine. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the tofu mixture on it. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Remove the tofu mix from the oven, serve warm with tortillas and your desired toppings, and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Well Plate
Calories: 168kcal, Carbohydrates: 21G, Protein: 10G, Fat: 6G, Saturated Fatty Acids: 0.5G, Polyunsaturated fat: 1G, Monounsaturated fatty acids: 2G, Sodium: 306mg, Potassium: 242mg, Fiber: 4G, Sugar: 1G, Vitamin A: 222IU, Vitamin C: 1mg, Calcium: 83mg, Iron: 2mg