Image courtesy of facebook.com/shortnorthcake
There’s always a lot going on in the Columbus restaurant world! Here’s the latest:
- Columbus Underground broke the news this week that Longtime Short North bakery Piece of Cake has abruptly closed. The bakery was at 772 N. High St. for 25 years. No word on the reason for the closure. (We have fond memories of living in the Short North when we moved to Columbus in 2002, and getting her frosted pumpkin cookies all the time!)
- Multiple sources have reported that the Chick’n Cone chain’s first central Ohio location has soft opened at 422 Polaris Pkwy. in Westerville. As the name suggests, the big feature is fried chicken served in homemade waffle cones. The shop also serves chicken sandwiches, tenders, bowls, sides and dips.
- Mission Coffee Co. is about to open its new store at 2060 S. High St. You can get a preview this weekend if you buy a bag of their special blend 2060. The owner of Blank Slate Coffee, a truck that until recently had been operating in Gahanna, announced this week that they have in charge of operations at Mission, including management of the new retail store.
- This week Matter News published a feature on the famous roof tiles of the closed Blue Danube and where they have reappeared in the intervening years. The piece includes the news that the new owner is renovating the place and intends to reopen it under the same name in the coming months, with the addition of some elements of the Mediterranean menu.
- CRMD ice cream parlor has opened a second location, this one at 5915 Bob Evans Farm Dr. at Lewis Center. This location also features an underground bar in the back!
- The Vic Village Tavern, a new venue and bar in the old Shrunken Head (and previously the Victorian’s Midnight Cafe, for those who remember) opened this week. Located at 251 W. Fifth Ave., the bar is operated by the owners of Zeno’s.
- Wolf’s Ridge Brewing announced that Kris Ludwig will be stepping up as the new Executive Chef effective April 11, succeeding Chef Seth Lassak’s department. Ludwig has been part of the culinary team since Wolf’s Ridge opened in 2013.
- A new ice cream truck called Lady Sprinkleton the Third is coming to Columbus soon. The truck is operated by the team behind the Tasty Good food truck.
- Flavor 91 Bistro announced that they have added a food truck and started taking reservations for the season.
- Are you curious to taste a bunch of coffees at once? The Columbus Coffee Festival is currently selling cases of beer with plenty of coffee and other goodies through this Sunday, March 26th.
- Bottoms Up Bagels is ending its pop-up at The Daily Bar (883 N. Fourth St. in Italian Village) through this Sunday, March 26. Read more about the pop-up here!
- Finally, Forbes published a beautiful highlight of our city. You can read it here: Why you should plan a spring trip to Columbus, Ohio, a gem hidden in plain sight
This week I also write:
Want to keep up with more? Follow me on Instagram at @breakfastwithnick, check out the news archives, find travel inspiration, explore the breakfast map or…
Success! You are on the list.
Wow! An error occurred and we were unable to process your subscription. Please reload the page and try again.