Change up your usual spring salad with this veggie-stuffed grilled asparagus salad. Made with just a few simple ingredients but packed with smoky and delicious flavor for a new side dish or main meal.
The best asparagus salad!
We’ve been grilling up a storm here now that the weather has gotten warmer and we actually have a backyard. I’m definitely the grill master of this family, so dinners lately have been throwing everything on the grill for a full meal.
I really can’t say enough good things about this asparagus salad. You toss your asparagus on the grill, which brings out that amazing smoky flavor, then toss the rest together in a large bowl for a refreshing spring salad recipe.
Many asparagus salad recipes call for a vegetable peeler or blanching your asparagus in a large saucepan, then cooling them in a bowl of ice water. Not this recipe! You can throw your asparagus spears on the grill and basically forget about them. It’s pretty easy and brings out the natural flavor of asparagus. Trust me you will love it!
Ingredients in asparagus salad
- asparagus spears – Cut off the thick stems but leave the remaining stems intact.
- grated parmesan -or other cheeses such as sheep’s cheese or goat’s cheese.
- pistachios – ideally roasted to bring out the flavor. You can also use another nut or seed like pine nuts or pecans.
- Fresh Lemon Juice – juice half a lemon or add more if you like.
- olive oil – ideally extra virgin olive oil, but use what you have.
- salt and black pepper – Add more or less depending on your taste
That’s it! The natural and fresh flavors of this grilled asparagus salad really come through, so there’s no need to be fussy about extra ingredients. It’s also completely gluten-free!
How to grill asparagus
Grilling asparagus is actually super easy! I love grilling asparagus because it cooks so quickly and really brings out the flavor of boring old asparagus. There are a few tips and tricks, but honestly, it’s hard to screw up.
- Set the grill to medium heat (you want at least 400 degrees F)
- In a casserole dish, drizzle the asparagus with olive oil, making sure they are well coated.
- Place the asparagus directly on the grill and grill for about 3 minutes (close the lid for the 3 minutes so that the asparagus can steam and cook)
- Open and turn the top of the asparagus. They should be ready after another 2-3 minutes. Asparagus should be crisp, tender, and slightly charred.
- Remove the asparagus from the grill and let them cool before slicing them into chunks for your grilled asparagus salad
How to make asparagus salad
Once your asparagus is grilled and cool, cut it into bite-sized pieces. Place in a large bowl and garnish with parmesan, pistachios, lemon juice, salt and pepper. You can also add an extra drizzle of olive oil if you like. Feel free to mix in any other veggies you like including red onions, cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, avocado, or fresh herbs.
What goes well with asparagus salad:
While this Grilled Asparagus Salad can certainly be a complete meal on its own, I love eating it as an accompaniment to a main course. Here are a few options for vegetarian and meat dishes that can be paired with this salad.
More salad recipes
As always, if you make this Asparagus Salad recipe, I’d appreciate it if you leave a 5-star rating in the comments! It just helps other people discover this Grilled Asparagus Salad and know it tastes great!
Grilled asparagus salad
Change up your usual summer salad with this flavorful Grilled Asparagus Salad. Simple ingredients but packed with smoky and delicious flavor!
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 8 minutes
- Total time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 portions 1X
- Category: pages
- Diet: vegetarian
- 2 Bunch of asparagus, ends cut off
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup Parmesan, thinly sliced or grated
- 1/3 cup pistachios*
- juice, 1/2 lemon
- optional: arugula, basil, parsley etc..
- Set the grill to medium-high and close the top to allow the heat to rise.
- Place asparagus in a large shallow bowl and drizzle with all of the olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place asparagus directly on the grill once it last reaches 400 degrees F.
- Close the lid and let the asparagus cook directly on the grill for 3 minutes.
- Open the top and turn the asparagus, cooking with the top open for 2-3 minutes. Check it regularly to make sure it’s charred but not completely on fire.
- Return the asparagus to the same bowl you used for the drizzle and cook directly in the bowl (at least 10 minutes). This will give it an extra layer of olive oil in case there is any left.
- Once cool, cut the asparagus into 2cm pieces and place in a large bowl.
- Top with parmesan, pistachios, and any other veggies or herbs you wish to add.
- Squeeze half the lemon directly onto the salad and toss to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or cold from the fridge.
- Keeps in the fridge for up to 3 days.
*I like to stove roast my pistachios for a few minutes to bring out the flavor.
SUBSCRIBE TO THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join over 20,000 members of the THM community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!