Originally published April 2, 2015
Make your own homemade potato chips, baked with a touch of oil and salt and pepper. No deep fryer needed for this healthy version!
find tasty, healthy Snacks can be tough. But this Easy Homemade Baked Potato Chips Recipe is truly tried and tested by you and absolutely the way to go!
WHAT INGREDIENTS DO I NEED?
- 3 red potatoes
- Oil spray (vegetable, olive or preferred)
- salt/pepper to taste
HOW DO I MAKE HOMEMADE POTATO CHIPS?
Start by thinly slicing the potatoes with a mandolin or carefully with a knife. Then place the sliced potatoes in a large bowl of water. Let the slices rest for about 20 minutes.
I often empty the bowl after about 30 minutes and then soak it in fresh, clean water. You will see the water turn milky white which is the starch leaving the chips.
After you’ve removed most of the starch from the chips, lay them flat on a paper towel and let them dry as much as possible. The drier they are before they go into the oven, the crispier the chips will be. If the slices are still wet when they bake, they will “steam” in the oven more than “bake”. This results in a soft, chewy potato chip. What no one really likes, am I right? The crispier the better!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray your baking sheets with oil, place the slices on a baking sheet, and then spray the top of the slices with additional oil. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Bake for about 15-20 minutes.
**Since ovens often have hot spots, check them regularly and pull off any areas that are already browned.
Remove chips from tray to cool. They will become crispier as they cool.
There’s nothing like homemade chips to satisfy cravings for salty snacks. Be sure to try mine Homemade Hint of Lime Baked Tortilla Chipsas well as!
Homemade Baked Potato Chips
3 red potatoes
Oil spray (vegetable, olive or preferred)
salt/pepper to taste
- Thinly slice the potatoes with a mandolin or carefully by hand.
- Place sliced potatoes in a large bowl of water. Let the slices rest for about 20 minutes. Drain the water and repeat the process with new clean water.
- After most of the starch has been removed from the potato slices, drain the water and place the slices on paper towels to dry.
- Spray baking sheets with oil, place potato slices on a baking sheet and additionally spray with oil. Sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for about 15-20 minutes. Check regularly and peel off browned ones.
- Remove chips from tray to cool. They will become crispier as they cool.