My favorite homemade taco seasoning recipe with just 6 ingredients you already have in your pantry. When it comes to making tacos at home, nothing beats making your own spice mix.
Easy Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
Next time you plan to make tacos, ditch the store-bought taco seasoning packets and whip up your own taco seasoning. It’s the best taco seasoning recipe I’ve used in years! I adapted this from my popular turkey taco recipe and have tried many variations, but I keep coming back to this combination. Goes great with ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken or use in my taco dip. Plus, it’s easy, economical, and you can customize the flavor to your liking. Best of all, it’s free of preservatives and additives that store-bought mixes might contain.
This homemade taco seasoning recipe is perfect for taco lovers and picky palates. The kids will love it because it’s mild and flavorful. I always have a portion in my pantry ready to eat. What you need:
Ingredients for DIY Taco Seasoning
This recipe yields 1 cup of seasoning, perfect for about 9 servings for about 1 pound of ground beef. Feel free to modify this to suit your taste.
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 tablespoons of peppers
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
Mix all of these ingredients together in a small bowl and store in a glass condiment jar.
For best flavor, homemade spices are best stored for up to 6 months, but can be stored for up to 1 to 2 years if stored in a cool, dry place and in a tightly sealed container or mason jar.
What are the main ingredients in taco seasoning?
- Chili powder: It is the backbone of this spice and gives the mixture a spicy kick and a deep, rich color
- Cumin: This spice gives the spice its signature earthy, slightly spicy flavor reminiscent of many Mexican and Latin American dishes
- Garlic Powder: It gives the spice a hearty, bold flavor
- Paprika: Gives the blend a mild sweetness and a vibrant color
- Oregano: Boost the flavor of the other ingredients
- Kosher Salt: enhances the flavor of all other ingredients and makes them more pronounced
Additional spices you can add:
- onion powder
- Ancho Chili powder instead of chili powder
- Smoked Peppers instead of sweet
- crushed red pepper flakes, chipotle chilli powder or cayenne pepper, to make it sharp
- black pepper, to taste
- Make it low in sodium by using less salt or eliminating it altogether
To prepare taco meat with this condiment:
Sauté 1 pound ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, or tofu in a large skillet with 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons of this taco seasoning, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup chopped red pepper and about 1/2 to 3/4 cup water then cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Place on preheated taco shells and garnish with shredded lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, salsa, sour cream, black beans, avocado, etc.
More taco recipes
Yield: 32 portions
Serving size: 1 1/4 teaspoon for 2 tacos
Please leave a rating and a comment and let us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive and continue to provide you with free, high-quality recipes.
Homemade taco seasoning has a shelf life of up to 1 to 2 years when stored in a cool, dry place and in a tightly sealed container. However, the flavor of the spice can diminish over time and is usually at its best within the first 6 months.
*Check labels for gluten free.
Portion: 1 1/4 teaspoon for 2 tacos, Calories: 8th kcal, Carbohydrates: 1.5 G, Sodium: 300 mg, Fiber: 0.5 G