This 5 star Honey Garlic Chicken is prepared in the slow cooker and is perfect for any weekday meal. It’s kid friendly and made with 5 simple ingredients.
This Honey Garlic Chicken (Crock Pot) is a favorite of Fit Foodie Finds readers. So many of you have made this dish over and over again and we hope you enjoy it!
Seriously the BEST Honey Garlic Chicken
If you’re looking for an easy, juicy and flavorful slow cooker chicken breast recipe, then you’ll love this Honey Garlic Chicken.
The honey garlic sauce for this recipe is tangy, sweet and hot all at the same time and is made with just 4 ingredients. The chicken is slow cooked in the sauce, leaving it super tender and juicy, the perfect topping for your grain of choice.
We love that you literally put all the ingredients in the slow cooker uncooked (no frying in a pan or skillet required) and let it work its magic!
5 ingredients you need
That’s right, this amazing Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken is made with only 5 ingredients… and chances are you already have them in your pantry! Here is the lineup:
- Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts: We use chicken breasts, but feel free to use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Chopped Garlic: You will need 3 whole tablespoons of minced garlic. trust us
- Treasure: We love that honey is an all-natural sweetener. It also goes very well with soy sauce and garlic.
- Soy Sauce (or Tamari): Soy sauce adds a great savory flavor and has a decent amount of salt in it too.
- Red Chili Garlic Sauce: Want to add some warmth but not too much spice? A little red chili garlic sauce goes a long way.
Before you start this recipe…
How Does Honey Garlic Chicken Taste?
This Honey Garlic Chicken recipe is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. The honey balances the chilli sauce for a gooey and delicious sauce.
Make sure the chicken breast has an internal temperature of 165ºF before shredding the chicken after cooking.
What kind of chicken do I use?
For this Honey Garlic Chicken recipe, we’re using chicken breasts. If you’re a dark meat person, you can use chicken thighs (boned or boneless).
Just make sure to check the temperature of the chicken thighs and remove the bones before shredding the meat.
Make sure to mist your slow cooker
We always recommend spraying your slow cooker before cooking anything for a long period of time to avoid burning the edges of your slow cooker.
How to make Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts
It’s easy. All you have to do for this recipe is put all 5 ingredients in a slow cooker, turn it on and walk away!
temperature + cooking time
High: 2-3 hours
Low: for 4-5 hours
- Make the sauce. You want to prepare the sauce in a separate bowl before pouring it into the slow cooker. Why? You want to make sure the honey has dissolved into the other ingredients.
- Add the chicken breasts. Spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray, then add the chicken breasts to the slow cooker.
- Pour the sauce. Pour the sauce over the chicken in the slow cooker. Make sure the chicken is covered with the sauce.
- Boil the chicken. Cook on high or low.
- Shred the chicken. Once the chicken has an internal temperature of 165ºF, use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Optionally thicken. If you would like a thicker sauce, add 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch to about 1/4 cup sauce and whisk to combine. Then pour it back into the slow cooker. Mix the chicken with the sauce, cover the slow cooker and allow the sauce to thicken.
- Serve over rice. Enjoy!
If you need a slow cooker, we love our 7-qt. casserole!
Honey Garlic Chicken Instant Pot instructions
- Add chicken breast and honey garlic sauce to your Instant Pot.
- Cover the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 8-10 minutes. Fast release.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and shred with 2 forks.
- Thicken the sauce by removing 1/4 cup sauce and whisking with 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch. Pour the sauce and shredded chicken back into the Instant Pot and mix.
- Turn on the sauté function and bring the sauce to a boil to activate the cornstarch.
- Once thickened, serve immediately.
Chicken thighs with honey garlic sauce
What Goes With Honey Garlic Chicken?
You can easily turn this Slow Cooker Chicken Breasts recipe into an amazing chicken meal prep by combining it with your favorite grains and roasted veggies.
Divide a serving of Honey Garlic Chicken between 1 cup cooked grains and 1 cup veggies.
a few more tips
Make it sharp
If you want to make this honey and garlic chicken even spicier, add red pepper flakes or a few teaspoons (or a tablespoon if you’re a fire-breathing dragon!) of sriracha to the honey-garlic sauce.
Add some crunch
Serve this Honey Garlic Chicken with sesame seeds or chopped cashews for a little extra crunch.
Honey Garlic Chicken is an easy yet flavorful recipe made with chicken breasts, garlic, honey and soy sauce and a little chili garlic sauce for heat.
We recommend serving your Honey Garlic Chicken recipe with steamed rice and roasted vegetables or steamed broccoli.
Most honey garlic chicken recipes are mild in seasoning, but you can add chili garlic sauce or sriracha to crank up the heat.
Your Honey Garlic Chicken will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
How to Store Honey Garlic Chicken
Store this Honey Garlic Chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. We recommend keeping the Honey Garlic Chicken separate from other ingredients (rice, veggies, etc.).
Can I make a frozen meal out of this?
This Honey Garlic Chicken is a great frozen meal when you’re making meals for yourself or loved ones.
- Make a honey garlic sauce by mixing together the minced garlic, honey, soy sauce, and red chilli garlic sauce until the honey is dissolved.
- Then place the chicken breasts in a gallon-size freezer-safe bag and pour the sauce over them.
- Remove as much air as possible from the bag and seal tightly.
- Freeze up to 3 months.
Would you like to learn how to reheat this frozen meal? See how here.
Best Honey Garlic Chicken (Crock Pot)
Make our slow cooker honey and garlic chicken recipe with 5 simple ingredients. This chicken comes out so cheeky and is so easy to make. Just set it and forget about it in your slow cooker!
In total:6 hours 10 protocol
- 1.5 Pound. Boneless skinless chicken breast Thighs work too
- 3 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 Cup honey
- 1/2 Cup soy sauce or Tamari
- 2 teaspoon Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch Optional
First create your honey garlic sauce. Whisk together minced garlic, honey, soy sauce, and red chili garlic sauce until honey is completely dissolved.
Next, place the chicken breasts on the bottom of your slow cooker. Then pour the sauce over the chicken.
Turn on the slow cooker high and cook 2-3 hours OR low and cook 4-5 hours.
Once your chicken is fully cooked (165ºF inside) and tender, remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred with 2 forks.
If you want to thicken the sauce, Remove 1/4 cup of the liquid from the slow cooker and beat in 1/2 tablespoon of cornstarch until dissolved. Then pour that back into the slow cooker and mix until combined.
Then return the chicken to the crockpot and mix with the sauce. Cover and cook on high for a further 10 minutes to allow the sauce to fully thicken.
Serve with your favorite grains and vegetables. Top with sesame and green onions.
Tips & Hints
- Nutrition is only for the chicken.
- Cornstarch is optional, but your sauce will be thin if you don’t use it.
- This recipe was slightly updated on January 19, 2022. Nothing essential has been changed.
Calories: 214kcal Carbohydrates: 26G Protein: 25G Fat: 3G Fiber: 0G Sugar: 23G