An easy tutorial on how to make almond milk 3 different ways! From classic vanilla to spicy chai to decadent chocolate, this step-by-step tutorial will show you how Make almond milk at home!
I remember the first time I had homemade almond milk. I couldn’t believe how much BETTER the store bought almond milk tasted. So rich, so creamy and easy to make. I share a base almond milk recipe plus three variations to spice it up…literally.
For everyone with one lactose intolerance or someone who wants to try something new non-dairy milk substitutethis recipe is for you!
Is Homemade Almond Milk Good For You?
YUP! The best part about making your own almond milk (apart from the insanely delicious taste) is the ingredient list.
To make the basic recipe, you only need three ingredients: almonds, water and maple syrup. Conventional almond milk usually contains more ingredients, added sugarr or sweeteners and preservatives. Avoid all of that by making your own!
Is homemade almond milk cheaper?
Great question. It depends on which almond milk you buy. If you buy the good almond milk… you know what brands I’m talking about, the price is probably comparable. If you buy the store brand almond milk, you can probably buy it cheaper than you can make it.
However, it’s not super expensive to make! The highest cost is the almonds, but you only need 1 cup of almonds per batch of homemade almond milk. I like to buy my almonds from the wholesale section at the grocery store to stock up.
Ingredients in homemade almond milk
- raw almonds – You can also use toasted almonds, but this adjusts the taste. Try to opt for unsalted milk as you don’t want super salted almond milk
- water – 4 cups of water, regular or filtered. Whatever you prefer.
- maple syrup – for cuties. You can also use honey or agave depending on your preference or what you have on hand.
How to make almond milk
STEP 1: SOAK ALMONDS
Place yours raw almonds place in a bowl and cover with water. leave him almonds and water sit overnight or for at least 6-8 hours.
STEP 2: DRAIN ALMONDS + MIX
Drain soaked almonds and put in a blender. Add 4 cups water to blender and blend until smooth – I typically blend for 45 seconds to 1 minute.
STEP 3: SIEVE ALMOND MILK TO REMOVE FUEL
When the mixture is smooth in your blender, add a Nut Milk Bag or several layers of cheesecloth (or a fine-mesh sieve) over a large bowl. Pour the blender mixture through the nut milk bag or cheesecloth and gently squeeze until all of the liquid is in the bowl and remains leftover almond pulp in the bag.
STEP 4: ADD SWEETENERS + FLAVORS
Add maple syrup and any other desired flavors to the almond milk and mix. That’s it!
Try different flavor combinations!
Vanilla Almond Milk – Add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (or fresh vanilla bean).
Chocolate Almond Milk – Vanilla extract, cocoa powder + more maple syrup to balance
Chai almond milk – Vanilla Extract + Spices (Ginger, Cinnamon, Cardamom, Allspice + Cloves)
How long does it keep in the fridge?
If you store your almond milk in an airtight container or jar in the fridge, it will last 3-5 days. I have a new ritual of making a batch of almond milk on a Sunday or Monday and enjoying it all week.
You need to shake it well before using as it is normal to see some separation.
How to use almond milk
Truly the sky is the limit! Use in place of store-bought almond milk or regular milk.
How to make almond milk
An easy video tutorial on how to make homemade almond milk 3 different ways! From classic vanilla to spicy chai to decadent chocolate, this step-by-step tutorial will show you how.
- Preparation time: 6 hours
- Cooking time: 0 minutes
- Total time: 6 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: beverages
- Method: mixture
- Diet: Vegan
for the vanilla flavor:
For the chai flavor:
for the chocolate flavor:
- Place the almonds in a bowl and fill with water until the almonds are covered.
- Soak overnight or at least 6-8 hours.
- Strain the almonds and put them in the blender.
- Add 4 cups of water to blender and blend until smooth (my blender takes about 45 seconds to 1 minute to blend).
- Place a nut milk bag or several layers of cheesecloth over a large bowl with a pitcher.
- Pour the contents of the blender through a nut milk bag or cheesecloth to strain and squeeze the bag until all the liquid is removed.
- Add maple syrup, then season with desired flavors as listed above.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Shake before use.
Keywords: how to make almond milk
Do you like this recipe? Here are a few others you might like:
SUBSCRIBE TO THE THM NEWSLETTER
Join over 20,000 members of the THM community to get access to exclusive recipes, healthy lifestyle tips and behind-the-scenes news from our team!