Yes, I said it: beans in your brownies. Brownie in a muffin. Absolutely one thing. Absolutely amazing. Please trust me?
I made these amazing ones first Black bean muffins about 4 years ago and was shocked at how fudgy and delicious they have turned out. They were inspired by my famous Avocado Black Bean Brownies and since I’m the muffin queen I wanted to turn them into muffins for a wonderful treat or snack. These babies are naturally sweetened with a little maple syrup (or honey) and have the most perfect texture. Plus, they happen to be gluten-free, grain-free, and dairy-free!
They’re really full of chocolate love and you’ll never be able to tell they’re made with black beans. PROMISE. Surprise your kids, friends or significant other with this sneaky healthy treat and watch them gobble it up!
How do black bean muffins taste?
I promise you, you won’t be able to taste the black beans in these delicious Black Bean Brownie Muffins AT ALL. They really do taste like a fudgy brownie with the perfect amount of sweetness and melted chocolate in every bite.
Not only do they taste delicious, but they’re packed with fiber and protein, and thanks to the black beans, they’re gluten- and grain-free.
Everything you need to make these black bean muffins
These delicious, healthy black bean muffins use super simple ingredients and are packed with rich brownie flavor. Here’s what you need to make them:
- Black beans: They use a full can of black beans as the base for these muffins! This makes them flour and grain free.
- eggs: The three eggs will help the brownie muffins hold their shape. I would not recommend trying a vegan egg or egg substitute as the eggs are key to the texture of the brownie muffins.
- Sweetener: Because we don’t really want them to taste like beans, you’ll need some pure maple syrup or honey to sweeten them.
- coconut oil: Add a little coconut oil for the perfect amount of moisture.
- cocoa powder: I recommend using a high-quality unsweetened cacao powder or cacao powder for that rich chocolatey flavor.
- Bake staple foods: You’ll also need vanilla extract (learn how to make your own here!), baking powder, and salt.
- Optional admixtures: I like to add a tiny bit of brewed coffee to enhance the chocolate flavor, plus dark chocolate chips! Feel free to use non-dairy chocolate chips to keep the muffins dairy-free.
Can I use different beans?
Black beans have a very neutral flavor in baked goods, so I suggest sticking with the recipe as is. Feel free to use a can of chickpeas in these Flourless Peanut Butter Chickpea Muffins!
This gives you a cake-like texture
If you prefer it cakey to foamy, just use 4 instead of 3 eggs!
Delicious black bean muffins in 5 steps
Another cool thing about these black bean brownie muffins is that you don’t need any mixing tools – just a food processor!
- Blend the beans. You start by mashing the black beans with one of the eggs in a food processor until nice and smooth.
- Mix the wet ingredients. Place remaining wet ingredients in food processor and process until well incorporated.
- Blend dry. Finally add the dry ingredients and process the dough again. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide & bake the dough. Once your batter is ready, divide into prepared muffin cases in your muffin tin, sprinkle with chocolate chips and bake.
- Cool & enjoy. Let the muffins cool completely and enjoy!
Save them and freeze them for later
- To store: Feel free to keep these black bean muffins at room temperature for a day, then I recommend storing them in the fridge. They seriously taste like fudge brownies when kept in the fridge! Feel free to warm them up in the microwave.
- Freeze: Allow the muffins to cool completely, then transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. Once you’re ready to reheat, you can thaw it at room temperature or microwave it in 30-second intervals.
More Healthy Muffin Recipes You’ll Love
Get all of my awesome muffin recipes here!
If you make these no-flour black bean brownie muffins, be sure to leave a comment and rating so I know how you liked them. Have fun, xo!
No-Flour Black Bean Brownie Muffins
Incredible flourless black bean muffins that taste like a delicious cakey brownie. That’s right, the secret ingredient in these easy, high-fiber brownie muffins is black beans! Dairy, gluten and grain free, they’re the perfect healthy treat or snack.
(15 ounces) can black beans, rinsed and drained
pure maple syrup (or sub honey)
Coconut oil, melted and cooled
brewed coffee, optional to enhance chocolate flavor
high quality unsweetened cocoa powder (or use cocoa powder)
dark chocolate chips, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with baking sheets and spray the inside of each sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
Place black beans and 1 egg in food processor and process until beans are well blended.
Add two more eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and coffee; Process again until smooth.
Next add cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; Process one more time until smooth. Next, fold in 1/3 cup chocolate chips.
Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips evenly over the tops of each muffin batter.
Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Place on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes, then remove muffins from pan and place on wire rack to cool completely.
Store muffins at room temperature for a day, then refrigerate and place in an airtight container.
*Use 4 eggs instead of 3 if you want a more cake-like consistency.
Servings: 12 muffins
Serving size: 1 muffin
Calories: 159 calories
This post was originally published on July 11, 2018 and republished on January 17, 2022.