We know what you’re thinking: not cabbage soup sexy. but is it is? Cabbage and fennel have just met and they are now inseparable. This soup is just the beginning of their love affair! Made with Italian spices, fresh fennel and lentils, this soup is delicious, nutritious, subtly spicy and light yet satisfying!
just make 1 container, it’s the perfect easy meal for a cozy weeknight! Grab your ladder — the soup is on!
This is comfortable, 1-container The soup begins by sautéing the onion, fennel and carrot until soft and sweet.
Next we add the cabbage and kale, giving this soup more depth Green vegetables for nutrition (Hello, folate, fiber, potassium, and vitamins C, K, and B6). Talk about packed with good stuff!
Then it’s on to the main flavor players: garlic, fennel seeds, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes come together. Italian-inspired Spice mix.
Potatoes and lentils join the party for Sincerity and fiberAnd simmer it in vegetable broth and tomatoes until tender.
We hope you love this soup! This is:
& very tasty!
It makes a comforting meal topped with vegan parmesan and served with our best vegan garlic bread or fluffy gluten-free focaccia. Or for more protein, pair with our Vegan Pepperoni, Easy Vegan Sausage (soy- and gluten-free!), or Pesto “Parmesan” Turkey Meatballs.
More nutritious cabbage recipes
Let us know if you try this recipe! Leave a comment, rate and don’t forget to @ tag a photominimalistbaker on Instagram. Cheers, friends!
serving 6 (~ 1 ½ cup serving)
- 2 table spoon Olive or avocado oil (more for pass serving // if oil-free, double the amount of water)
- 1 big Onion, peeled and finely chopped (1 large onion yields ~ 3 cups or 225 grams)
- 1 the middle Fennel bulb, trimmed and finely chopped (or 2 stalks of celery // 1 medium fennel bulb yields ~ 2 cups chopped or 210 grams)
- 2 big Carrots, peeled and finely chopped (2 large carrots yield ~ 3/4 cup or 90 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon each Sea salt and black pepper
- 6 the cup Green cabbage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 the cup Chopped kale (curly or lacinato), cut into 1/4-inch pieces (Or use more cabbage – we love the color and texture the kale adds)
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 table spoon fennel seeds, Lightly grind in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder (or leave whole).
- 1 Pile of spoons Smoked paprika
- 1/2-1 teaspoon Stay red pepper (to test)
- 8 the cup Vegetable broth (or store bought)
- 1 medium large Yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (1 potato yields ~ 3 cups or 300 grams)
- 1 (15 oz.) can Crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 the cup Dry green lentils
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Once hot, add onion, fennel (or celery) and carrot. Sauté gently for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Stir in the salt and pepper – don’t be tempted to turn up the heat to speed it up or the vegetables won’t be as sweet.
Add the cabbage and kale (if using) and sauté for another 5 minutes until wilted. Then stir in the garlic, fennel seeds, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes. Cook for 1 more minute until the fennel seeds are fragrant.
Stir in vegetable broth, diced potatoes, crushed tomatoes and lentils. Bring to a boil, cover (leave the lid hanging slightly), and simmer on medium-low for 30-40 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
Taste and adjust as needed, adding more salt for overall flavor or red pepper flakes for heat.
We like to serve with garlic bread or focaccia bread in bowls drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with vegan parmesan.
Leftover soup will keep well in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4-5 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated without optional ingredients.
Worship: 1 bhajana Calories: 251 Sugars: 43.6 g Protein: 9.5 g Fat: 5.8 g Saturated Fat: 0.8 g Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.8 g Monounsaturated fats: 3.5 g Trans fats: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 1089 mg Potassium: 851 mg Fiber: 11.4 g Sugar: 12.9 g Vitamin A: 785 IU Vitamin C: 52 mg Calcium: 161 mg Iron: 4.2 mg