This One-pan fried chicken with mushroom sauce is the perfect weeknight dinner! This stir fry chicken recipe is made with succulent chunks of chicken breast that are cooked simply and flavorfully Mushroom sauce. Enjoy over white rice, pasta, or cauliflower rice for an easy, well-rounded dinner.
Easy Fried Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
I’m talking about one pan meals. You really are the best. I mean, who likes to come home after a long day and tidy up multiple pans and dishes? Not me!
This Chicken One Pan with Mushroom Sauce is the perfect weeknight dinner. It’s easy to make but packed with the best flavors. This stir fry chicken recipe is packed with flavorful veggies and a comforting, oh-so-flavorful sauce. It’s ready in 20 minutes total and it’s a dinner the whole family will love.
Plus, you can enjoy it to the fullest, knowing you won’t have to spend a lot of time cleaning up the kitchen after dinner! To win!
Can you cook chicken in a pan without drying it out?
Absolutely! Especially if you cook it in a spicy mushroom sauce. While there are many ways to avoid drying your chicken, you really don’t need to worry about this recipe.
Because the chicken is diced, it cooks super quickly, reducing the risk of drying out. It also spends most of its cooking time simmering in a delicious mushroom sauce that adds loads of flavor and lots of moisture!
- Chicken: You will need 1 pound of boneless chicken breasts, cut into even pieces.
- Oil or Butter: Either olive oil or grass-fed butter works great for searing the chicken.
- Salt and pepper: A little salt and pepper is enough to flavor the chicken. The sauce adds a lot of flavor!
- Butter: All you need is a little butter to add flavor and sauté the flavors.
- aromatics: We create a flavor base with sautéed garlic and onions.
- Cremini mushrooms: Cremini mushrooms are like baby portobello. I love the flavor they add to this dish. If you can’t find cremini, portebello or regular white mushrooms will work too.
- Broth: I use organic chicken bone broth, but feel free to use what you have on hand. You can also make a homemade chicken broth in the Instant Pot or Slow Cooker!
- Red wine: A splash of red wine deepens the flavor of the sauce.
- Herbs and spices: We flavor our sauce with a simple combination of thyme, bay leaf, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
How to Make Chicken One Pan with Mushroom Sauce
This easy stir fry chicken recipe comes together in 20 minutes total! Here is a brief synopsis of the recipe:
- Roast Chicken: Heat oil or butter in a pan. Once hot, add the diced chicken and sear until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Make the sauce: In the sauce pan, add more butter, onion, and garlic. Fry for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes.
- Combine: Return the chicken to the pan along with the chicken broth, red wine, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
How long does it take to cook chicken in a pan?
That depends on the size and thickness of the chicken you are cooking. For this stir fry chicken recipe, I like to chop the diced chicken. The smaller pieces allow the chicken to cook much faster than leaving it as a whole chicken breast.
If you’re looking for more accurate time estimates, allow for 2-3 minutes of browning and then 8-10 minutes of simmering in the sauce.
TOP: Dice the chicken evenly! We want pieces that are all the same size so they cook at the same speed!
How do you know when chicken in a pan is done?
The best way to know when the chicken is done cooking is to use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature. It should be 165ºF.
How do you thicken mushroom sauce?
The mushroom sauce will naturally thicken as it simmers in the pan and the moisture evaporates. In addition, it thickens significantly as it cools. With that in mind, I wouldn’t do anything to change the texture right away.
If you know you want a thicker mushroom sauce, you can quickly thicken it by adding a cornstarch slurry. Simply mix equal parts cornstarch and water, then whisk this into the sauce (very small pieces at a time) until desired texture is achieved.
Chicken with mushrooms is definitely a lighter meal on its own, so I like to serve it with:
How to save
Leftover chicken with mushroom sauce will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. It can also be tightly wrapped and stored in the freezer for up to 2 months.
To reheat, thaw in the fridge, if frozen, then heat on the stovetop on low until heated through.
One Pan Chicken in Mushroom Sauce
This Chicken One Pan with Mushroom Sauce is the perfect weeknight meal! This stir fry chicken recipe features juicy chunks of chicken breasts cooked in a simple and flavorful mushroom sauce. Enjoy over white rice or cauliflower rice for an easy, well-rounded dinner.
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Total time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: dinner
- Method: frying pan
- 1 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or butter
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 Onion, diced
- 3 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 Container of cremini mushrooms (can substitute others!)
- 1 cup chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 2 Sources thyme
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dice the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil or butter in a pan and sauté the chicken for 2-3 minutes, not fully cooked. Set chicken aside on a plate.
- In the same pan, add butter, onions, and chopped garlic. Sauté for 2-5 minutes or until tender and fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring frequently to allow the water to boil out.
- Put the chicken back into the pan.
- Add chicken broth, red wine, thyme, bay leaf, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes until sauce thickens. Surcharge!
- Serving size: As served
- Calories: 335
- Sugar: 1.9g
- Sodium: 225mg
- Fat: 17.7g
- Saturated Fatty Acids: 6.5g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 36.5g
- Cholesterol: 116mg