Pesto eggs will change your life.
If you’re a fan of pesto and eggs, pesto eggs will change your life. It’s so simple you’ll think it’s incredibly silly, but the truth is, sometimes simple things are better! Pesto eggs are the best of both worlds: Italian flavors and breakfast.
Tiktok is really excited (sorry, not sorry!) about pesto eggs
Pesto Eggs comes to us via Amy Wilichowski – it’s her favorite way to make eggs and she shared it on Tiktok, where it’s now going viral. All you do is take a couple of tablespoons of pesto, heat it up in a hot pan and add the eggs. Eggs are fried in pine nut and basil oil and infused with all those delicious pesto flavors.
What do pesto eggs taste like?
If you love the flavors of pesto, you’ll love these guys. Get plenty of fresh basil, lots of garlic, Parmesan cheese, olive oil and toasted pine nuts. All the flavors of pesto combine with the richness and crunch of a fried egg. Top it off with some flaky sea salt and chili flakes and you’re in breakfast heaven.
Pesto egg ingredients
Pesto and eggs: that’s it! If you fancy a little, toast a piece of sourdough, spread some ricotta on it, add some avocado, put the egg in the pesto, a drizzle of honey and some flakes of chili, and flaky sea salt.
Where to buy pesto
You can find pesto at the grocery store in the refrigerated section near fresh pasta. If your grocery store doesn’t sell it, you can make it at home!
How to make fresh pesto:
Do you need:
- 1 large bunch of basil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper
In a food processor (or you can chop everything by hand on a cutting board), blend the basil, garlic, pine nuts and Parmesan. Add 1/2 cup olive oil until the pesto is blended. Taste and season with salt and pepper. The pesto will keep in the fridge, covered, for up to 5 days.
How to make pesto eggs
- Add a couple of tablespoons of pesto to a non-stick pan. Spread it and let the oil heat up.
- When the oil is hot, break and egg (or two) into the pesto.
- Cook the egg slowly until it’s done (don’t turn up the heat too much or the pesto will burn).
- Enjoy sprinkled with chili flakes and flaky sea salt!
How to make perfect sunny side up eggs
Sunny side up eggs are so happy. Who doesn’t love egg whites cooked to perfection with a runny, gloriously yellow yolk? The trick to making perfect sunny side up eggs is to control the temperature.
- Remove the eggs from the refrigerator and let them come to room temperature. They will cook faster and more evenly.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl to ensure that the yolk remains unbroken.
- Heat the pan over medium heat with a little oil.
- When the oil is hot and shiny, pour the egg little by little into the oil. The egg whites should turn opaque immediately.
- Lower the heat and cook the egg whites until stiff, then slide a spatula under the egg, remove and enjoy!
- Keep the heat low so the pesto doesn’t burn
- Store-bought pesto works, but if you have the time, homemade pesto is incredibly delicious!
- try scrambled eggs instead of sunny side up
How to serve
If you love pesto, try these other pesto recipes!
Pesto eggs will change your life.
It’s useful 1
- 1-2 spoon pesto
- 1 big egg
Amount per serving
Calories from fat 98
% Daily Value*
fat 10.9 g17%
Saturated fats 2.6 g16%
cholesterol 167 mg56%
sodium 157 mg7%
potassium 59 mg2%
Carbohydrates 1.3 g0%
Fiber 0.3 g1%
Sugar 1.3 g1%
protein 7 g14%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.