This Pomegranate Salmon recipe is so festive and delicious! Inspired by the flavors of Morocco, it is very easy to make, and worthy of your holiday table. Video.
Here’s a simple yet beautiful and tasty recipe for Pomegranate Salmon that can be baked in the oven in under 30 minutes. The baked pomegranate salmon is marinated in a glaze sweetened with pomegranate molasses, then baked over a bed of braised fennel bulbs. For more delicious salmon dishes, check out 25+ Amazing Salmon Recipes!
Pomegranate Salmon Ingredients
- Salmon filet- We opt for King Salmon or sustainably raised Atlantic salmon in this recipe. Due to the higher fat content, it is harder to overcook vs. coho salmon or sockeye salmon which are much leaner. Feel free to use pre-portioned salmon or whole salmon fillets. Thicker cuts of salmon help prevent overcooking.
- Pomegranate molasses– gives a pleasant sweet-tart flavor. If you can’t find Pomegranate Molasses, feel free to make your own…. see the recipe notes for a simple homemade version. We use this in the pomegranate glaze.
- Shallots– sliced into thin rings, or sub red onions.
- Fennel bulbs– very thinly sliced. Fennel add a nice complexity here!
- White wine or sherry ( if you have Pernod, a little splash, along with the wine is delicious)
- Miso Paste– I opt for white miso paste for the most delicate flavor, but other miso paste will work too. There is also a gluten-free chickpea miso paste that works too.
- Maple syrup– or brown sugar, or other sweetener
- Garlic cloves
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- Fresh Orange zest & orange juice
- Garnish: pomegranate seeds (aka pomegranate arils), Italian parsley, or sprigs of rosemary or thyme.
See the recipe card below for a full list of ingredients and measurements.
How To Make Pomegranate Salmon
- Make the marinade and marinate salmon for 15 minutes and up to 24 hours.
- Braise the fennel bulb in a skillet, just until tender ( it will finish in the oven).
- Place the marinated salmon over the fennel, on a parchment paper lined sheet pan or in a large baking dish and bake in the oven until the salmon is cooked through (130F) on an instant-read thermometer.
- Serve with fresh herbs and pomegranate seeds.
Beautiful, simple, and delicious!
Storage and Serving suggestions
Leftover salmon will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Serve with a leafy green salad, healthy starch ( mashed potatoes or rice) and a vegetable.
How do you reduce the sourness of a pomegranate?
When pomegranates are ripe, they are a perfect balance of sweet and tart. However, if you find a particularly tart one, you can add a little maple syrup to mellow out the sourness.
Are there any health benefits to eating pomegranates and salmon together?
Pomegranates are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, and fiber, while salmon is packed with omega-3 fatty acids and high-quality protein. Combining these two powerful ingredients in a meal can provide a boost to your overall health and well-being.
What is pomegranate molasses made from?
Pomegranate molasses is made by reducing pomegranate juice to create a thick, syrupy consistency. It is commonly used in Middle Eastern cuisine and adds a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to dishes. To make your own pomegranate molasses, you can simmer pomegranate juice until it thickens, or you can find it ready-made in stores.
How do you make pomegranate molasses?
Simply reduce pomegranate juice until it has thickened into a syrup.
I hope you love this Pomegranate Salmon.
Love this recipe? Please let us know in the comments and leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating below the recipe card.
How to cut a Pomegranate | video!
This Pomegranate Salmon recipe is so festive and delicious! Inspired by the flavors of Morocco, it is very easy to make, and worthy of your holiday table.
Garnish : ¼- ½ cup pomegranate seeds, Italian parsley or sprigs of rosemary or thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Make the salmon marinade by whisking marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour over the salmon, coating it well. Let marinate 15 minutes or up to 24 hours(refrigerated)
- Braise the fennel. Heat olive oil over medium high in an extra large skillet. Saute the fennel bulb and shallots for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until golden and slightly tender, you may need to turn heat down. Splash with wine and season generously with salt and pepper. Simmer gently until wine has evaporated. Let it finish cooking in the oven with the salmon.
- Place the salmon in the oven to roast- either in the pan, over the braised fennel, or separately on a parchement lined baking sheet. Depending on the size, thickness and the way the salmon is cut, cooking time will vary. For individual portions, check after 10 minutes. Whole filets will most likely take 15 minutes, and extra large thick filets, even longer. Better to err on the side of under than over, so set a timer.
- When the salmon is done, scatter with pomegranate seeds and fresh herbs for color.
Feel free to skip the fennel, and just roast the salmon over parchment on a sheet pan.
To make one ½ cup of Pomegranate Molasses, place 2 cups pomegranate juice into a heavy-bottomed, small pot on the stove, bring to a simmer, then simmer gently over medium-low heat, uncovered, until it has reduced down to 1/2 cup – about 20-30 minutes. Take your time, as a hard boil will make it bitter. Stir in 1-2 tablespoons honey. It will thicken as it cools.
Pour into a little glass jar, and let cool completely before storing in the fridge. It will keep up to 6 months in the fridge. Feel free to make a smaller batch, but you may need to lower the cooking temp.
- Serving Size: 6 ounces
- Calories: 413
- Sugar: 15.2 g
- Sodium: 305.2 mg
- Fat: 24.9 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.9 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 25.5 g
- Cholesterol: 62.3 mg
Keywords: pomegranate salmon, baked salmon with pomegranate, pomegranate salmon recipe, roasted salmon recipes, roasted salmon, moroccan salmon,