they will love it Red cabbage salad! It’s the perfect summer dish with its creamy garlic dressing, crispy cabbage and crunchy roasted pecans.
If you love easy and delicious salads, then you should try these Cabbage Cucumber Salad and Cucumber Radish Salad.
Table of contents
I love this oxtail salad recipe because not only is it easy and so delicious, but it’s also so pretty. This dish really stands out at a buffet table and it’s hard not to love all of its great flavors.
- TASTE GOOD: The cabbage is mild in flavor but packed with wonderful flavors with the rich and flavorful dressing full of garlic, fresh dill and toasted pecans.
- TEXTURE: The crisp and crunchy cabbage and nuts contrast perfectly with the smooth and creamy dressing. This purple cabbage salad packs deliciousness into every bite.
- TIME: This recipe only takes 10 minutes.
- EASE: It’s fast, easy and everyone loves it. This salad is just the thing for your next get together or potluck.
what you will need
Notes on ingredients
- Mayonnaise- This is the creamy, rich base for the dressing.
- Sour cream- This ingredient adds some effervescence as well as creaminess.
- Garlic cloves- You can rub or squeeze them. They have a great spicy taste.
- Red cabbage- That’s the star of the show. It will add a mild flavor and lots of crunch.
- fresh dill This one has a light, slightly sweet herbal flavor that tastes so good in this purple cabbage salad.
- pecans- These are roasted and chopped, imparting a delicious nutty flavor with a bit of crunch.
- Spices- Salt and black pepper to taste.
Add-Ins and Substitutions
- Use a different bandage- If you want to lighten this salad, instead of the creamy dressing, use one with apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar for a spicier, lighter dish.
- Add other vegetables and fruits- Try this red cabbage salad with romaine lettuce, tomatoes, tangerines, allspice or lemon.
- add nuts and seeds- Add some extra crunch with pine nuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, or chopped walnuts.
- replace kale – If you don’t have red cabbage, you can use kale instead, or go half and half.
How to make Red Cabbage Salad
- Make the dressing. Mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, and garlic in a small bowl. Put aside.
- Prepare cabbage. Cut a medium-sized red cabbage into 4 equal wedges. Then cut the core off each wedge and slice each wedge into thin strips.
- Assemble the salad. Place the chopped cabbage in a large bowl and add the chopped pecans, dill, salt, pepper and dressing. Combine until all ingredients are well incorporated.
Pro tip: Cut the cabbage on the thin side so you don’t end up with large, unwieldy chunks when you bite off.
- Use good quality cabbage Look for a good quality cabbage with taut leaves and a glossy head with no wilting or spotting. It should feel heavy for its size.
- Keep cabbage thin You don’t want just a mouthful of cabbage, you want to get all the tasty ingredients, so keep the cabbage strips nice and thin.
- Toast the pecans- Raw pecans are a little chewy, so toasting gives them more crunch and also improves their nutty flavor.
- Use fresh dill Fresh herbs have such a great taste. While you can use dried dill here, it’s best to use fresh.
frequently asked Questions
Absolutely! In fact, it’s best to eat red cabbage (aka purple cabbage) raw as it retains its health benefits, which can worsen when cooked.
Cabbage should be washed before use as insects and dirt can get caught in the leaves. You still want to peel off the outer leaves, but washing the cabbage is a must.
This kale salad is versatile enough to serve with any main course or other side dish. Here are some delicious ways to enjoy it:
- Meat: Pair this salad with Air Fryer pork chops (VIDEO), flank steak tacos, grilled chicken skewers, or garlic butter steak bites.
- salad: Serve alongside other salads, like this Eggplant Salad, Shredded Carrot Salad, Cucumber Tomato Feta Salad, or Avocado Corn Salad.
- Pages: Enjoy this oxtail salad with sides like roasted parmesan potatoes, eggplant appetizers (roll-ups), roasted Brussels sprouts, or Air Fryer corn on the cob.
- soups: Serve with a bowl of Potato Leek Soup, Broccoli Cheddar Soup, Baked Potato Soup, or Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup.
Make this recipe ahead of time
Go on: You can pre-mix the salad dressing and store in the fridge. You can also chop and pre-mix the salad ingredients so the dressing only needs to be added when you’re ready to serve.
storage: Store this red cabbage salad in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Salad without dressing can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. But the dressing should be freshly made. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.
More delicious salad dishes!
Do you love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ rating in the recipe card below ⬇️ and/or a rating in the comments section below.
Let’s connect on social media! 😍 Find me on Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest. And don’t forget to tag me if you try any of my recipes!
Full Recipe Guide
red cabbage salad
Delicious crunchy purple cabbage salad with chopped pecans in a creamy garlic dressing. Easy-to-follow recipe with step-by-step photos.
Press Pen rate
Calories: 140kcal | Carbohydrates: 9G | Protein: 2G | Fat: 11G | Saturated Fatty Acids: 2G | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 79mg | Potassium: 308mg | Fiber: 2G | Sugar: 4G | Vitamin A: 1330ie | Vitamin C: 61.6mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 1.1mg