This aptly named salad is more delicious than the sum of its parts. The sweet carrots, salty olives, and crunchy potato wedges combine with tuna and a creamy dressing to make a perfect lunchtime or potluck salad.
Let me introduce you to one of my all-time favorite salad recipes: shoestring salad.
It’s not called a shoestring because it’s cheap. It’s called the shoestring because it calls for shoestring potatoes. But either way – the cost and the ingredients – make this a perfectly named salad for those of us on a tight budget!
About the Recipe: Shoestring Salad
Here’s what you need to know:
- ingredients: Shoestring salad is a mix of shredded carrots, tuna, green olives, and mayonnaise — topped with french fries potato sticks. Sounds easy – it is. But something about this mix of ingredients is just so delicious. I can’t stop eating it.
- That is cheap: This salad is extremely budget-friendly. The base is carrots and the remaining ingredients are pantry staples. This is the perfect low-cost meal for a summer picnic or potluck.
- It is healthy: If you’re trying to eat more veggies or cut carbs, try this salad. You can definitely omit or reduce the fries and potato sticks if you’re on a low-carb or Paleo diet.
Cheaper and easier salad recipes
5 large carrots
5-ounce can tuna, drained
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup sliced green olives
5-ounce can of french fries potato sticks
1 spring onion, chopped
- Grate carrots using a grater or food processor fitted with a grater attachment. Mix in the tuna and mayonnaise.
- Stir in most of the green olives and potato sticks. Pour the rest over the salad. Top with spring onions.