This One Pot Spicy Sausage Soup is hearty, loaded with a variety of veggies and collards, all simmered in flavorful beef broth, diced tomatoes, and yes, a whole jar of salsa!
It’s finally cozy soup season and this Spicy One Pot Sausage Soup is loaded with flavor! So many veggies, spicy Italian sausage, and collards, all mixed with flavorful beef broth, diced tomatoes, and yes, a whole jar of salsa! If you like a lot of spiciness then you should definitely use a spicy sausage along with a spicy salsa, but for those of you who prefer a milder flavor you can just use chicken or turkey sausage and a mild to medium salsa. The great thing about this soup is that it’s so versatile and you can easily customize it to your liking!
Why you will love this soup
- Easy to do in just 30 minutes!
- Packed with tons of veggies, collards, spicy sausage, and even your favorite glass of salsa.
- You only need to use one pot, making cleanup a breeze.
- Can also be made in your Instant Pot or Slow Cooker.
- Makes a great low carb meal!
ingredients you need
- Hot Sausage – I used spicy Italian sausage here because it’s our personal favorite in this soup, but feel free to use a milder sausage if you don’t like a lot of spiciness, or even chicken or turkey sausage for a leaner soup
- vegetables – I used a combination of chopped onions, colorful peppers, mixed frozen veggies (like corn, green beans, and carrots) along with some fresh collard greens
- garlic – this really enhances the flavor and is a Got to in this soup!
- beef broth – I used a low-sodium beef broth, but you can use vegetable broth or whatever broth you have in your pantry
- Diced tomatoes – If you don’t have diced tomatoes, feel free to add a can of tomato sauce or tomato paste, which not only makes this soup thicker, but also gives it a nice richness
- salsa – any salsa in the glass will do! We like to use a medium salsa for a little bit of spiciness, but feel free to use mild salsa or even spicy for more spice. If you don’t have salsa on hand, you can use diced tomatoes instead
- Worcester sauce – Flavor Boost!
- Spices – a combination of Italian seasonings, salt and pepper (the sausage and beef broth already give this soup a good amount of sodium, so you really don’t need a lot of salt!)
How to make Spicy Sausage Soup
The great thing about this soup is that it all comes together in just 30 minutes in 3 easy steps! I prefer to make this in a large pot on the stovetop as the whole meal comes together fairly quickly, but you can also make this in your Instant Pot or even your Crock Pot if you prefer.
- Cook sausage and vegetables. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and crumble sausage with a spoon until browned. Mix in the onion, peppers, and garlic and cook until onion is translucent and peppers are soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Let the soup simmer. Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the kale) and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes.
- Mix in the kale and serve! Add the chopped kale and simmer for another 10 minutes. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed and enjoy!
Prepare and store
To store: This flavorful sausage soup will keep in a sealed, airtight container in your refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can easily reheat this soup in the microwave or on the stovetop for a quick, delicious meal.
Freeze: If you plan to freeze this soup, first allow the soup to cool completely, then store in a sealed container in the freezer 3 months. To enjoy, let the soup thaw completely in the fridge. Reheat in a saucepan on the stovetop or reheat individual portions in the microwave.
More Soup Recipes You’ll Love
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pounds hot (or regular) Italian ground sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Paprika, chopped (I used red and green)
- 2 Garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) Jar of Chunky Salsa
- 1 (12 oz) bag of mixed frozen vegetables (corn, green beans, carrots)
- 1 tablespoon Worcester sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian spice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups Baby cabbage leaves, chopped
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat and crumble sausage with a spoon until browned. Mix in the onion, peppers, and garlic and cook until translucent, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except for the kale and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, let soup simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add kale and simmer for another 10 minutes, serve and enjoy!
- Serving size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 319
- Sugar: 7.5 g
- Sodium: 630.8mg
- Fat: 15.6g
- Saturated Fatty Acids: 0.4g
- Carbohydrates: 19.3 g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 13 g
* Please note that all nutritional information is an estimate only. Values vary by brand, so we recommend you calculate them yourself for the most accurate results possible.