This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This fresh strawberry and spinach salad recipe is topped with creamy avocado, toasted almonds, your choice of cheese, and a honey-sweetened poppy seed dressing.
Forever one of my favorite salads this time of year. ♡
I first shared this Strawberry Spinach Salad recipe here on Gimme Some Oven almost a decade ago, but it’s one of those classics I’m sure I’ll be making for decades to come. This salad is loaded with lots of fresh strawberries, tender baby spinach, creamy avocado, toasted almonds, paper-thin red onions, crumbled blue cheese (or goat or feta cheese), and my favorite lightly sweetened honey and poppy seed dressing. This salad is always the first recipe I want to make every spring when juicy ripe red strawberries are back in season. And it always tastes good such a treat.
Of course, feel free to add your favorite type of veggies, nuts (or seeds), and cheese. And if you want to add some protein, grilled chicken, shrimp or bacon are always delicious options.
So grab a pint of those ripe strawberries while they’re in season and let’s make this gorgeous salad together!
Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad Recipe | 1 minute video
Ingredients for strawberry salad and poppy seed dressing
Before we get to the full recipe below, here are a few pointers on the ingredients you’ll need for this Strawberry Salad Recipe and Poppy Seed Dressing…
- Green: I usually use baby spinach or a spring greens mix for this strawberry salad, but feel free to use whatever salad greens you like best.
- strawberries: Look for fresh strawberries that are as ripe as possible.
- Avocado: Sliced or diced avocados give this salad a delicious extra dose of creaminess.
- Crumbled Cheese: We like to use crumbled blue cheese or goat cheese in this salad, but feta or burrata would also be delicious options.
- Sliced Almonds: Definitely recommend lightly toasting the almonds before adding them to the salad to bring out their best flavor.
- Red onion: I recommend cutting the onion thinly. If you prefer a milder onion flavor, simply rinse the sliced onion in cold water before adding it to the salad.
- poppy seed dressing: My favorite poppy seed dressing recipe is simply avocado oil (or olive oil), red wine vinegar, honey, poppy seeds, Dijon, salt and pepper.
Here are a few ideas for different ways to customize this strawberry salad if you’d like…
- Use different fruits: This salad also tastes wonderful with fresh blueberries, cherries, peaches, pears, or pomegranate seeds instead of (or mixed with) strawberries.
- Use different nuts/seeds: Pistachios, walnuts, pecans (or candied pecans), pepitas, or sunflower seeds would all be delicious alternatives to almonds.
- Add fennel: I also love adding some super thinly sliced fennel to this salad.
- Make it vegan: Use your favorite vegan cheese or omit the cheese altogether to make a vegan strawberry salad.
More green salad recipes
Looking for more fruity green salad recipes to try? Here are a few of my favorites!
This delicious Strawberry Avocado Spinach Salad is quick and easy to make, full of great fresh flavors and tossed with a simple poppy seed dressing.
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 pint Strawberries, peeled and sliced
- 1 Avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese (or goat cheese or feta)
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- a half small red onion, thinly sliced
Ingredients poppy seed dressing:
- 1/3 cup avocado oil (or olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Poppy
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Make the dressing. Whisk all ingredients vigorously in a small bowl (or shake in a sealed jar) until emulsified. Taste and season with a pinch of salt and a few peppercorns as needed.
- Arrange the salad. Mix all salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Drizzle evenly with the dressing, then toss gently until combined.
- Surcharge. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Share this post