Dive into a piece of pizza casserole, this is comfort food in perfection!
This dish combines pasta with your favorite pizza toppings in a pizza sauce-inspired marinara. The whole thing is topped off with lots of cheese and baked until brown and bubbly.
Prepare it in no time for a filling weeknight dinner and have a fun new pizza night!
A new family favorite
- This pizza casserole recipe is a inexpensive crowd pleaser.
- Top-shelf pizza meets our favorite baked pasta recipe at this family favorite.
- Hearty, healthy and fillingThe pizza casserole can be customized with your favorite pizza toppings, anything is possible!
- This recipe can be made ahead of time and is a good reheat for easy weeknight meals.
Ingredients for pizza casserole
pasta – I like penne pasta, but choose any medium-sized pasta (like rotini, farfalle, or clams). Holes and ridges will hold the sauce and this size will hold up well to baking. You can also use cooked spaghetti if you have some on hand.
Sauce – A combination of marinara and pizza sauce adds extra flavor and gives this recipe its signature pizza flavor! Make them yourself or use store-bought ready meals.
Meat – Italian sausage has great flavor, ground Italian turkey sausage works just as well. For a classic pizza flavor, don’t omit the pepperoni slices (or turkey pepperoni).
pizza topping – Add lots of mozzarella cheese and whatever you like on the pizza. Try sliced mushrooms, peppers, onions or olives.
Make this a low-carb pizza casserole by substituting roasted cauliflower for the pasta. Deliciously easy!
How to make a pizza casserole
- Cook noodles and drain.
- Fry the meat with onions and garlic. Add vegetable topping (if using) and remaining sauce ingredients. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix the noodles with the meat sauce and spread in a casserole dish. Top with cheese and half of the pepperoni slices and Parmesan cheese.
- Bake (according to recipe below) until the top is browned. Serve hot.
Can you advance?
Prepare the pizza casserole a day ahead, cover with plastic wrap, and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake.
Save the pizza casserole
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days and reheat in portions in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Freeze chilled portions in plastic wrap and aluminum for up to 4 weeks. Freeze an entire unbaked or baked Supreme casserole by lining a casserole dish with parchment paper before assembling the casserole (this makes it easy to remove after freezing so the casserole dish can be used elsewhere).
- Wrap the frozen casserole in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and freeze for up to a month. Thaw in the fridge before baking.
Did your family love this pizza casserole? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Supreme Pizza Casserole
Easy and cheesy pizza casserole is a delicious way to enjoy pizza any day of the week!
Preheat the oven to 425°F.
In a large saucepan, cook the noodles according to package instructions and then drain thoroughly.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, sauté the Italian sausage with the onions and minced garlic over medium-high heat. Drain excess fat.
Add pizza topping of choice (see Notes) and cook pizza for 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add drained tomatoes, oregano, Italian seasoning, pizza sauce, and marinara sauce. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Mix the cooked pasta with the sauce and half the pepperoni slices. Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13 pan.
Top with the mozzarella and cheddar mixture, the remaining pepperoni, and the Parmesan cheese.
Bake uncovered for 18 to 22 minutes or until cheese is browned.
If you’re adding vegetables that need to be cooked (like mushrooms or green peppers), add them to the beef and cook for a few minutes before adding the sauce.
Toppings that do not need to be cooked (like ham, pepperoni, black olives, artichokes, etc.) can be added to the pasta sauce.
Pepperoni and toppings can also be sprinkled over the cheese for a crispy consistency.
Calories: 441 | Carbohydrates: 43G | Protein: 28G | Fat: 18G | Saturated Fatty Acids: 8thG | Polyunsaturated fat: 1G | Monounsaturated fatty acids: 6G | trans fats: 1G | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 1232mg | Potassium: 744mg | Fiber: 4G | Sugar: 8thG | Vitamin A: 862IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 305mg | Iron: 3mg
Nutritional information is an estimate and may vary depending on cooking method and brand of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photos are protected by copyright. Sharing this recipe is both encouraged and welcomed. Copying and/or pasting complete recipes to social media is strictly prohibited. Please see my Photo Usage Policy here.