This Baked Sweet Potato Tater Tots recipe makes tots that are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. Homemade tots are easy to make and fun to enjoy as a healthy side dish.
One summer, I noticed there was a new addition to the Sonic menu, sweet potato tater tots. Holy. motha
I didn’t choose anything else while having those sweet potato tots. Maybe they were always there, and I just missed them. These kids… they were different. They were soft… and sweet….
I loved them, okay? We had something really special. And then one day they left. That’s why I had to make the recipe to make it at home.
Sweet Potato Totes
Here I am, years later looking at pictures of our baked sweet potato tater tots, and my mouth is watering.
It’s funny and probably weird how much I love vegan tater tots.
So, if you haven’t guessed already, these tots are heavenly. Like, the perfect combination of regular tots and sweet potatoes. And they are super easy! Ten ingredients or less. Seriously, the perfect addition to your black bean burger or vegan sandwich.
Make them and your life will change. This is the part where I disappear into the darkness and you are all mesmerized… but luckily you still have things to look at.
the main ingredient
You can find the complete printable recipe with ingredient amounts below. But first, here are some ingredient explanations and steps to help you perfect this recipe every time.
Here are the ingredients you will need for this recipe:
- sweet potato – You will need two regular sized sweet potatoes.
- Nutritional yeast flakes (“Nuch”) — You can find nutritional yeast flakes at most health food stores.
- Ground flaxseed — We will use flaxseed and cornstarch as binding agents.
- Almond flour — I’m using almond flour to keep these totes gluten-free, but you can substitute all-purpose flour if gluten isn’t on your radar.
- salt – Sweet potatoes are, well, sweet. Add a bit of salt tone to some that down.
- Panko crumbs — This part is optional, but adding breadcrumbs helps create a crispy tater tot crust. You can use regular or gluten-free.
How to Make Sweet Potato Tater Tots
These Baked Sweet Potato Totes are so much fun to make! Let’s start!
- Cook the sweet potatoes in the microwave for 2 to 4 minutes (stab them first).
- Allow sweet potatoes to cool, then cut into large chunks.
- Add the sweet potatoes to a food processor along with the rest of the ingredients (except the panko crumbs).
- Pulse for a few seconds until the ingredients are combined, leaving plenty of sweet potato chunks.
- Roll into a tater tot shape, roll in bread crumbs and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Optional: Brush the tots with olive oil.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the outer crust is golden.
Why this recipe is a winner
- simple — Pulse ingredients in a food processor, turn into tots and bake, it’s that easy!
- versatile – Add your favorite spices, like smoked paprika or even cinnamon.
- Freezer-friendly – Make a double batch and freeze these tots to serve with any meal.
Air Fryer Tater Tots
Want to make these Sweet Potato Air Fryer Tots? Here’s how:
- Just preheat your air fryer to 400°F/200°C.
- Spray air fryer basket with vegetable cooking spray.
- Add the breaded tots to the air fryer basket in a single layer at the bottom of the basket. Do not stack the tots as they may get stuck.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then remove the air fryer basket and use tongs to flip the tots.
- Cook for another 10 minutes or so until crisp and browned.
- Repeat this process with the remaining uncooked tots.
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. They can be frozen in a freezer-safe container for up to 2 months.
Sweet potatoes are a favorite
If you love these sweet potato tater tots, you’ll want to try more sweet potato recipes. Here are some of our favorites:
Prevent your screen from going dark
Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C. Spray a cooking sheet with vegetable spray. See note for air fryer instructions.
Prick each sweet potato a few times with a fork. Place in a microwave and cook for two minutes. At this point the potatoes should be slightly tender.
Allow sweet potatoes to cool, then cut into large chunks.
Place in a food processor with the rest of the ingredients except the panko crumbs. Pulse for a few seconds until the ingredients are combined. We’re going for a rough texture here, with lots of sweet potato chunks.
Divide the dough into large tablespoonfuls (you can use a cookie dough scoop for this). Roll it into a tater tot shape, roll the tot in bread crumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the mixture is used up.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for it 20 to 25 minutes, until the outer crust is golden. Remove from oven. Serve hot.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
Make Air Fryer Tots: Preheat your air fryer to 400°F/200°C. Spray air fryer basket with vegetable cooking spray. Place the beaten totes in a single row at the bottom of the basket. Cook for 5 minutes. Then remove the basket and use tongs to turn the tots. Return to the air fryer and cook for another 10 minutes or so, until crispy and golden brown. Repeat with remaining tots.
Calories: 130kcal | Sugars: 22g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 672mg | Potassium: 285mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 9220IU | Vitamin C: 1.6mg | Calcium: 45mg | Iron: 1.1mg
The nutritional information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist consultation.
This post was originally published in 2015 and was updated in 2022 to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe.