The BEST Chicken Enchilada Recipe! These easy chicken enchiladas are made with shredded chicken, cheese, and my homemade enchilada sauce.
When I go out for Mexican food, I always order chicken enchiladas because it’s my favorite!! This enchilada recipe has been one of my favorite recipes since I first posted it, which doesn’t surprise me! My Easy Homemade Enchilada Sauce really makes it stand out, so don’t skip this step! They are so good that I can’t order them now because I keep getting disappointed. Serve enchiladas with coriander lime rice and bean sauce.
- Garlic and onion, chopped
- Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce to taste
- Tomato sauce
- Chipotle chili powder, ground cumin, kosher salt and fresh pepper to taste
- Chicken broth with reduced sodium content
- Cooked shredded chicken breast (from store-bought rotisserie chicken or slow-cooked shredded chicken). Chicken thighs work too
- Garlic and onion, chopped
- Kosher salt, cumin, dried oregano, and chipotle chilli powder to taste
- chicken broth and tomato sauce
- Whole wheat flour or gluten free tortillas
- Shredded semi-fat Mexican cheese, cheddar cheese, or Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped scallions or cilantro plus optional toppings like sour cream, avocado, Greek yogurt, jalapenos, etc.
How to make chicken enchiladas
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Make the enchilada sauce: In a saucepan, sauté chopped garlic in oil. Add chipotle chiles, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Simmer for 5-10 minutes and set aside.
- Make the chicken filling: Sauté chopped onion and garlic in a pan. Add shredded chicken, coriander, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce and chicken broth. Cook for 4-5 minutes and set aside.
- Assemble: Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with oil. Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture on each tortilla, roll up and place seam-side down in bowl.
- Bake: Pour over the enchilada sauce, sprinkle over the grated cheese and bake, covered, for 20-25 minutes.
- garnish with chopped green onions or cilantro and add optional toppings. Serve hot and enjoy!
What is an enchilada?
An enchilada is a traditional Mexican dish that typically consists of a tortilla filled with meat, cheese, beans, vegetables, and spices, then rolled up and covered with an enchilada sauce. Enchiladas are served hot and can be topped with additional cheese, sour cream, avocado, and other toppings.
What should I put in my enchiladas?
Enchiladas can be filled with anything you can imagine! I used shredded chicken breasts in this chicken enchilada recipe, but here are a few more ideas.
How to cook shredded chicken for enchiladas:
To prepare shredded chicken in the slow cooker, use boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or thighs) and fill with enough water or broth to cover. Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours, then drain and chop. You can also use leftover chicken breasts from a roast chicken, which is a lot quicker if you don’t have time.
What to serve with enchiladas:
This chicken enchilada recipe has been one of my favorite recipes for years and is always a hit when we serve it to friends and family. If you’re debating whether you should make them, I’ll vote yes and let me know what you think!
More enchilada recipes
Yield: 8th portions
Serving size: 1 big enchilada
Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
Spray a medium saucepan with oil and add garlic, sauté for 30 seconds. Add chipotle chiles, chili powder, cumin, chicken broth, tomato sauce, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5-10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld. Set aside until ready to use.
Heat the oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onions and garlic on low until soft, about 2 minutes. Add chicken, salt, coriander, cumin, oregano, chili powder, tomato sauce, chicken broth and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from stove.
Spray a 13 x 9 inch glass or ceramic baking pan with oil. Place 1/3 cup chicken mixture in each tortilla and roll.
Place on a casserole dish, seam side down, cover with sauce. Then top with cheese.
Cover with foil and bake in the oven on the middle shelf for 20-25 minutes, until heated through and cheese is melted. Garnish with spring onions or coriander. Optional: Top with your favorite ingredients if desired. (Extra points) Makes 8 enchiladas.
Please leave a rating and a comment and let us know how you liked this recipe! This helps our business thrive and continue to bring free, high quality recipes to you.
Prepare the chicken cutlets in the slow cooker, place the breasts in the slow cooker and cover with enough chicken broth to soak. Cook 4 hours low or 2 hours high, then shred with two forks.
Portion: 1 big enchilada, Calories: 168 kcal, Carbohydrates: 17 G, Protein: 17 G, Fat: 6.5 G, Saturated Fatty Acids: 2 G, Cholesterol: 29.5 mg, Sodium: 441 mg, Fiber: 8.5 G, Sugar: 3 G
Photo credit Sarah from Broma Bakery