We’ve searched far and wide for a taco seasoning that’s perfectly smoky, flavorful, flavorful, and made with recognizable ingredients. In this quest, we felt like Goldilocks! Some were too sweet, some too salty, until we gave up and decided to make a homemade version. And it was only right
Here it is, our new favorite DIY Taco Seasoning, ready to be the star of your next Taco Tuesday (or spice up your favorite protein or potato)! Show us how!
How to Make Taco Seasoning
Chances are you’ve seen (and used!) packets of taco seasoning conveniently looking down at you from the grocery store shelf. Ours too!
But with a well-stocked spice drawer, 5 minutesAnd 1 bowl, you can customize it to your liking at a fraction of the cost! And without anti-caking agents, inflammatory oils or other less-desirable ingredients.
Here’s what you need:
- Chili powder – We like to use homemade mixes when we have them but store bought mixes work too! For brands without anti-caking agents, check the bulk department and/or health food stores.
- Nutritional Scream – Enhances all the flavors while providing some B vitamins!
- coconut sugar – Provides a slightly caramelized natural sweetness to complement the smoky + spicy ingredients
- Sea salt – Included for convenience similar to store bought packets, but can be left out and added to when making a dish if preferred!
- Smoked paprika – For smoking
- Chipotle powder – for a rich, smoky heat
- Garlic and onion powder – For savory notes
- cumin – Classic Taco Seasoning to round out the flavors!
Combine all ingredients in a jar or bowl and shake or stir to distribute the spices evenly. One batch makes about three packets worth of taco seasoning, so you’ll be well stocked for the upcoming taco night!
We hope you love this DIY Taco Seasoning! This is:
And so versatile!
It’s perfect for seasoning your favorite proteins (tofu, chickpeas, chicken, and more), but it doesn’t say no to vegetables (especially potatoes or sweet potatoes).
This homemade taco seasoning would also make perfect party favors for taco-loving friends and busy parents or taco gatherings (because adults love parties too!) Taco Tuesday, here we come!
More DIY spice mixes
Let us know if you try this recipe! Leave a comment, rate it and don’t forget to tag a photo @minimalistbaker on Instagram Cheers, friends!
serving 9 (~1 tablespoon serving)
Prevent your screen from going dark
- 3 table spoon chili powder (or store bought)
- 1 ½ table spoon Nutritional Scream
- 1 ½ table spoon coconut sugar
- 2-3 teaspoon Sea salt (Reduce if using salted chili powder)
- 2 ¼ teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 ½ teaspoon Chipotle powder (red jalapeño powder)
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon Onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
In a jar with a lid (or a medium mixing bowl), add all ingredients and shake (or stir) well to combine. We want to try to spread the nutritional yeast as evenly as possible! Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking, adding more chipotle powder for heat, coconut sugar for sweetness, smoked paprika for smokiness, or salt to taste.
Use as a condiment on any taco protein you can think of! It would also taste great on fried potatoes.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 6 months or in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 1 year.
Worship: 1 table spoon Calories: 21 Sugars: 4.2 g Protein: 0.9 g Fat: 0.3 g Saturated Fat: 0 g Polyunsaturated Fats: 0 g Monounsaturated fats: 0.1 g Trans fats: 0 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 524 mg Potassium: 52 mg Fiber: 0.7 g Sugar: 2.4 g Vitamin A: 315 IU Vitamin C: 0.2 mg Calcium: 13 mg Iron: 0.8 mg