Thursday February 23, 2023
My parents live near a Barons Market and they do fantastic soups. Walk anywhere within a quarter mile of a Barons restaurant and people on the street will stop to tell you how good the Barons soups are, especially the clam chowder. (I’m just exaggerating a few Here’s a bit.) One of our favorites is the White Chicken Chili, and since we don’t have instant access to Barons or unlimited funds, I decided to figure out how to make it. I did some research on their soup and several recipes and with a few modifications settled on a Taste of Home winner.
I love this recipe. It’s easy to prep (hardly chop or rinse!) and tastes great with toppings like sour cream, cilantro, lime, and avocado. You could probably even toss some tortilla strips on top and enjoy the soup! (sorrynotsorry) Bonus, the soup is creamy and still gluten free. The mashed beans give it a cozy, soupy texture and the chicken cooks nice and tender.
This has become one of our family’s favorite meals. Apologies for the sub-par photography… my “real” camera ran out of battery and I had to snap a daylight photo of the last available bowl before anyone ate it. The only reason I haven’t posted the recipe yet is because I’ve never been able to take a photo in daylight because it always gets eaten!
White Chicken Chilli
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, diced (last time I used up to 2 lbs and the soup was great)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped (or pressed through a garlic press)
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 4-ounce can chopped green chiles (mild, medium, or hot depending on preference)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (add up to 1 1/2 teaspoons if you want it hotter)
- 3 14-ounce cans large northern kidney beans, drained
- ¾ cup freshly chopped cilantro (measuring doesn’t have to be exact, just a nice big handful) + extra for garnish
- 1 lime
- Optional Toppings: Shredded cheese, sour cream, fresh lime, fresh cilantro, avocado, thinly sliced radish
- In a large saucepan, sauté the chicken and onions over medium-high heat until lightly browned.
- add garlic; Cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in chicken broth, chilies, cumin, oregano, and cayenne; bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low.
- Mash 1 can of white beans with a potato masher or food processor until fairly smooth. Add the mashed and whole beans to the pot. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Serve as is or with the optional toppings listed above!
Posted by Jane Maynard at 1:18 PM No Comments
Categories: all recipes, great favourites, selected recipes, gluten free recipes, main courses, recipes Tags: chicken, chili, soup, white chicken chili |