Treat yourself to this easy and decadent vegan bread pudding. Coconut cream-soaked bread is baked with raisins, then served warm with a sweet bourbon glaze on top. You won’t even notice that it’s vegan!
Do you have stale bread lying around? Instead of using it in delicious vegan stuffing, use it in this sweet vegan bread pudding!
This decadent dessert will remind you of my French Toast Casserole. It features bread cubes soaked in a rich coconut cream sauce and garnished with bourbon-soaked raisins. Finished with a sweet bourbon sauce on top, this is one of the best treats to enjoy at Christmas or any time of the year.
The best part is that this classic dessert, which is usually made with heaps of eggs and milk, is completely vegan and dairy-free! You’ll never notice though. Every bite is rich, sweet and warm spicy.
Required components (including substitutions)
- raisins – Bourbon-soaked raisins are an essential part of any bread pudding dessert! Try not to avoid them.
- Bourbon whiskey – I recommend using bourbon whiskey instead of rye whiskey because of its sweet taste, which of course pairs best with sugar, butter and coconut milk. It is an important part of soaking the raisin and making the finishing glaze. If needed, you can leave it out entirely though!
- the bread – For best results, use day-old or stale bread. French bread is my favorite here but you can also use ciabatta, sourdough or thick sandwich bread.
- Vegan butter
- Coconut milk – The creaminess of canned full fat coconut milk makes it my favorite non-dairy milk to use in this dessert. If you can’t find coconut products, soy milk or oat milk can work instead.
- Silken tofu – Think of it as an egg substitute. Blending this very soft tofu in coconut cream sauce will help thicken the consistency.
- zinc sugar – You need granulated sugar in both the cream sauce and the bourbon sauce.
- Vanilla extract
- cinnamon – To enhance the warmth and comfort of this dessert. Feel free to add a pinch of nutmeg in addition to the cinnamon and allspice.
- Almond milk – For the bourbon sauce. Any type of plant milk will work in its place.
How to Make Vegan Bread Pudding
Find the complete printable recipe with measurements below on the recipe card.
Pour the bourbon over the raisins in a bowl and let them soak for a few hours.
When the time is almost up, start the recipe by placing the cubed bread in a buttered baking dish.
Blend together the coconut milk, silken tofu, cornstarch, sugar, vanilla, allspice, and cinnamon until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Pour over bread in baking dish. Sprinkle the bourbon raisins on top, then gently stir everything together. Place the dish in the oven to bake until the liquid has set and the edges are starting to brown.
Set the dish aside to cool while you make the bourbon sauce.
Stir together the butter, sugar and milk in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, then stir in the bourbon. Cook the sauce for a few more minutes.
Drizzle the bourbon sauce over the bread pudding to finish. Scoop it into the bowl and enjoy!
While it’s already delicious on its own, you can juice up every scoop of dairy-free bread pudding with even more toppings. In addition to the bourbon glaze, top the dessert with powdered sugar, chopped almonds or chopped almonds, or berries and sliced bananas.
A scoop of vegan ice cream on the side is always welcome or keep it simple with a dollop of coconut whipped cream. You can even add a drizzle of vegan custard on top for extra sweetness. Yum!
Frequently Asked Questions
Omit bourbon from the recipe entirely.
Confirmed. You can assemble the bread pudding as usual but instead of baking, cover the baking dish and refrigerate it overnight. Bake the next day and enjoy!
Any leftovers can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 4 or 5 days. Unbaked bread pudding can also be frozen for about 2 months, then thawed and baked as usual.
Want more decadent vegetarian desserts?
Bourbon sauce for serving
In a small bowl, pour the bourbon over the raisins and let them soak for 1-2 hours. If you don’t want to use alcohol, skip soaking the raisins.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Use melted vegan butter to coat the bottom of a 9×13 inch casserole dish.
Place the bread slices in a buttered baking dish. Set aside.
In a blender, add coconut milk, silken tofu, cornstarch, sugar, vanilla, allspice, and cinnamon. Blend until smooth.
Pour the creamy mixture over the bread in the baking dish and add the bourbon raisins. Stir gently into the dish.
Place in the oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, until the liquid has set and the edges are slightly browned.
Let it cool while you make the sauce.
sauce- Combine vegan butter, sugar and milk in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the butter melts. Slowly stir in the bourbon and cook for a few more minutes (or leave alcohol free). Serve hot, drizzled over bread pudding.
- overnight – Once the bread pudding is assembled but before baking, cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, bake as usual.
- Alcohol free or serving to children? No problem, just leave out the bourbon, it’ll be fine without it.
Worship: 1Serves 12 | Calories: 547kcal | Sugars: 66g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 3g | Monounsaturated fats: 4g | Trans fats: 0.1g | Sodium: 305mg | Potassium: 345mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 36g | Vitamin A: 494IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 4mg