The best egg salad ever, without the eggs! This vegan egg salad is made with tofu and crunchy veggies in a creamy base of vegan mayo, Dijon mustard, and optional tahini.
Being completely honest here, I’ve never been a big fan of egg salad. I ate quite a bit as a kid and always had mixed feelings. On the one hand, if it’s egg salad day at school, that means I’m avoiding bad luck like bologna or tuna salad. They were the worst.
On the other hand: eggs. Never one of my favorites.
I usually put up with egg salad and keep my fingers crossed that tomorrow will be PB&J day.
I love this vegetarian egg salad. Egg salad made with tofu is so much better than egg salad made with real eggs, if you ask me!
I totally intended to split a sandwich with my husband and then pack up the rest for a weekday lunch, but between the two of us we finished the whole batch over the weekend.
Ingredients you will need
- Vegan mayonnaise. You can find vegan mayo in most regular supermarkets these days. Look for it at regular mayo or in the natural foods section. Just Mayo, Hellman’s Vegan, and Veganize are some popular brands to look for.
- Dijon mustard. I love whole grain Dijon (Trader Joe’s is my favorite), but the smooth stuff works too.
- tahini This is an optional ingredient, but I think it works great for thickening the dressing and mimicking the texture of a hard-boiled egg yolk.
- Red wine vinegar.
- turmeric powder This is to add some yellow color to your vegan egg salad. Skip it if you think you don’t need it.
- tofu Extra firm tofu works best for this recipe, but firm will work in a pinch.
- Red onion. Pro tip: If you find raw onions a bit too spicy for you, soak your onions in some cold water after dicing them. Soaking for 10 minutes and rinsing with cold water will wash away most bites.
- Dill pickle relish. Finely mince some dill pickles if you don’t usually buy something delicious.
- Fresh parsley.
- the carrot
- Scallions Also known as green onion.
- To establish Kala Namak. Kala namak, also known as black salt, is a type of salt that has a high sulfur content. It’s great for making things taste like eggs! I use it in all my vegan “egg” recipes like tofu scramble and vegan quiche. You can find it in most Indian markets or on Amazon. It is optional in this recipe and can be replaced with regular table salt if needed.
- Bell pepper.
How is it made?
Below is a detailed photo tutorial on how to make this dish. If you want to skip the recipe, scroll all the way down!
This thing comes together very easily, in just a few minutes!
Whisk together the dressing ingredients: vegan mayo, Dijon mustard, tahini (if using), red wine vinegar, and turmeric.
Now stir in your filling ingredients: tofu, red onion, relish, parsley, celery, carrot and scallion.
Give the mixture a taste-test and make any adjustments you feel are necessary. You can add more mayo to make it creamier, more vinegar for tang, or more veggies for crunch. Add kala namak (or regular salt) and pepper to taste.
Stuff your vegan egg salad into a sandwich, scoop it into a green salad, or devour it from a spoon!
Remaining and storage
Leftover vegan egg salad will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
More creamy sandwich salad
Like this recipe? if so, Stop back and leave me a review and rating below if you try it! Also be sure to follow me on Facebook , Pinterest or Instagram , or subscribe to my newsletter for more recipes like this!
Vegan Egg Salad (Made with Tofu!)
The best egg salad ever, without the eggs! This vegan egg salad is made with tofu and crunchy veggies in a creamy base of vegan mayo, Dijon mustard, and a bit of tahini.
Or more, if you want
Red wine vinegar
(optional, for egg color)
(14 oz or 400 g) package
extra firm tofu,
Drained, patted dry and roughly chopped
Chop red onion
Dill pickle relish
Finely chopped fresh parsley
medium celery stalks,
(optional, for egg flavor), to taste (Note 2)
Whisk together mayo, Dijon mustard, tahini (if using), vinegar, and turmeric (if using) in a medium bowl.
Add tofu, onion, relish, parsley, celery, carrot and scallion. Stir gently until completely mixed.
Season with kala namak or salt and black pepper to taste.
Serve in sandwiches, wraps or on a bed of greens.
- Optionally, soak your sliced red onion in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain and rinse before using. This will soften the taste and reduce the bite of the raw onion.
- Kaka Namak (also known as black salt) can be bought in most Indian markets. If you can’t find it or don’t want to use it, substitute with regular salt.
Vegan Egg Salad (Made with Tofu!)
No. per job
109 calories from fat
% Daily Value*
thick 12.1 grams19%
2 grams of saturated fat10%
Sodium 656 mg27%
potassium 352 mg10%
carbohydrates 16 grams5%
3g of fiber12%
8 grams of sugar9%
protein 11 grams22%
calcium 210 mg21%
iron 2.9 mg16%
* Percent Daily Value is based on a 2000 calorie diet.