Are you a fan of strawberry shortcake? If so, then you’re really going to love this vegetarian version! Forget traditional recipes using butter and heavy cream; Plus, all ingredients are completely dairy-free, making it an ideal dessert option for those who want to enjoy baked goods without compromising their ethical or food preferences. And don’t worry, just because it’s vegetarian doesn’t mean it lacks flavor! This strawberry shortcake recipe turns out delicious, fluffy cake full of strawberry flavor that will tantalize your taste buds with every bite. So get ready for some dairy-free baking fun. Let’s make a yummy vegan strawberry shortcake with whipped cream that everyone can enjoy!
Why you’ll love this vegan strawberry shortcake recipe
A classic- This sweet and creamy treat is perfect for any occasion, from family dinners to potlucks.
Easily customizable- Add your favorite fresh or frozen fruit for a variety of flavors.
Quick and easy- You won’t believe how quick and easy it can be to make a vegan strawberry shortcake! These vegan desserts will be ready to enjoy in less than 30 minutes.
versatile- Serve as an elegant dessert or sweet snack any time of day.
What is strawberry shortcake?
Strawberry Shortcake is a classic dessert made with sweet, fluffy cake, whipped cream and fresh strawberries. This delicious combination of flavors creates an irresistible treat. This vegan strawberry shortcake is a delightfully flaky biscuit-style cake made with creamy vegan whipped cream and juicy strawberries.
- A sheet used for baking something
- Parchment paper
- Creamer jug or small mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Pastry cutter or spatula
- rolling pin
- cookie cutter or a glass
- sharp knife
- Measuring cups and spoons
For the Shortcake Biscuits:
- Coconut milk- This milk gives the cake a creamy texture and subtle sweetness.
- lemon juice- It adds a bright, tart flavor to the cake.
- Plain flour– Make a fluffy cake.
- Almond flour- Used as binding agent in batter.
- Organic Cane Sugar- Sweeten the cake.
- Baking Powder- Gives the cake a light and fluffy texture.
- cornstarch- Used to thicken cake batter.
- Solid coconut oil- Used for binding and creating a moist texture.
For the strawberries:
- fresh strawberries- The main ingredients of the cake.
- Organic Cane Sugar- Adds sweetness to strawberries.
For the topping:
- Whipped Coconut Cream- Provides a light, fluffy topping.
How to Make Vegan Strawberry Shortcake with Whipped Cream
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake is easy to make! To start, preheat your oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Meanwhile, combine the vegan milk and lemon juice in a creamer jug or small bowl and let it sit for 5 minutes. Now take some fresh strawberries and slice them before adding them to a medium sized mixing bowl; Then sprinkle organic cane sugar over them; This will help add sweetness while allowing the moisture to drain from the strawberries!
In a separate bowl, combine the plain flour, almond flour, cane sugar, baking powder and cornstarch; Mix until everything is well combined. Now add the coconut oil, and work until it is thoroughly incorporated into the flour mixture. Fold in the milk mixture and stir until a soft biscuit dough forms.
Once the dough is ready, roll it out on a floured surface ½ inch thick. Using a dough-dusted cookie cutter, biscuit cutter, or glass, cut out 6 circles and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet, making sure they are touching each other. Bake for 18 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
Once the shortcake biscuits are cooked, let cool completely before separating. Now it’s time to assemble your vegan strawberry shortcake! Start by cutting each biscuit in half widthwise, and place a few lightly sweetened strawberries on the bottom half of the 6 biscuits. Top each with vegan whipped cream, and close with biscuit tops.
Serve and enjoy your strawberry shortcake to your heart’s content!
How to Serve Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
Vegan Strawberry Shortcakes can be served as an elegant dessert at a dinner party or as a sweet snack any time of day. Top the strawberry shortcake with a dollop of whipped coconut cream and fresh berries for extra flavor. Serve with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or a cup of hot coffee or tea.
Popular substitutions and additions
You can make this vegan strawberry shortcake by adding some of your favorite ingredients. Here are some popular substitutions and additions:
- Increase the amount of cane sugar used in the cake batter for a sweeter cake.
- If you’re looking for extra fruit flavor, top the cake with fresh, sliced, juicy strawberries or other chopped fruit.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut flakes or chopped almonds on top of the whipped cream for an extra crunch.
- Spread vegan butter over warm shortcake
- For a more decadent dessert, drizzle melted vegan chocolate over each slice.
- Use gluten-free or wheat flour instead of almond flour.
- Instead of coconut milk, you can use almond milk, oat milk, soy milk, or any other vegan milk for a different flavor.
- Can apple cider vinegar
- Coconut sugar can be used in place of organic cane sugar.
- Use vegan butter in place of solid coconut oil for a buttery-tasting cake.
Can you freeze strawberry shortcake?
Yes, you can easily freeze this vegan strawberry shortcake. After assembling the vegan shortcake, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container. Shortcakes will last up to 3 months in the fridge. When ready to enjoy your frozen dessert, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before serving. Store leftover shortcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake FAQs
Can I use frozen strawberries to make this vegan strawberry shortcake?
Yes, you can substitute frozen strawberries for fresh ones. However, make sure to thaw the berries completely before adding them to the recipe.
Can this recipe be made gluten-free?
Yes, replace all-purpose flour with gluten-free flour and almond flour.
How do I make homemade vegan whipped cream?
Making homemade whipped cream is easy! All you need is canned coconut milk, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Refrigerate the can of milk overnight and skim off the cream that has solidified on top. Whip the cream with a hand mixer or stand mixer until light and fluffy, then add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Whip for a few more minutes until everything is combined and lightly sweetened. Serve with coconut whipped cream as desired.
Can I use other fruits for vegan shortcake?
Absolutely! You can swap out the strawberries and use any other fresh fruit like raspberries, blueberries, blackberries or peaches.
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
A delicious combination of juicy strawberries, vegan whipped cream and two delightfully fluffy cake layers. Everyone will come back for more of this sweet treat.
for the cake
- ¾ the cup Coconut milk
- 1 spoon lemon juice
- 1 the cup Plain flour
- 1 the cup Almond flour
- 3 spoon Organic cane sugar
- 2 teaspoon Baking powder
- 2 spoon Cornstarch
- 3 spoon coconut oil difficult
- 2 the cup Chopped strawberries
- 2 spoon Organic cane sugar
For the topping
- Whipped Coconut Cream as much as you want
Calories: 200kcalSugars: 8gProtein: 4gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated fats: 5gSodium: 22mgPotassium: 137mgFiber: 2gSugar: 1gVitamin A: 0.1IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 97mgIron: 1mg