Are you looking for the perfect vegan sweet potato pie recipe? A sweet potato pie that’s packed with loads of flavor and deliciousness but is plant-based so everyone can enjoy it? If so, then you are in luck! Today I’m sharing my fuss-free recipe for a vegan sweet potato pie, which is just as surprisingly delicious as the traditional version. This vegan sweet potato pie is perfect for foodies who want to try something new or moms who want to make healthy options at home. This option has all the warm spices, sweetness and flaky crust you’d expect from a classic treat without the animal products. Don’t let the idea of baking pies overwhelm you. Get ready to easily whip up your own heavenly version of this comfort food favorite!
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
A classic- Vegan Sweet Potato Pie is a great way to enjoy all the delicious flavors of everyone’s favorite cold-weather pie. This vegan version of the classic dessert is free of dairy and eggs, yet it still has all the sweet, creamy flavors you know and love.
Amazing taste – Sweet potatoes bring a perfect sweetness to the pie and when combined with vegan butter and spices like nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice, it’s an irresistibly delicious dessert.
Easy to make- Despite all the delicious flavors, this vegan sweet potato pie is surprisingly easy to make. All you need is about an hour, and you have a heavenly tasting dessert that will please everyone at the table!
Simple ingredients- You don’t need any unusual ingredients for this vegan sweet potato pie. A few basics like sweet potatoes, vegan butter, almond milk, sugar and flour and you’re set!
What is sweet potato pie?
Sweet potato pie is a popular, classic Southern dessert made from sweet potatoes seasoned and blended with butter, sugar, eggs, and milk. It is then baked in a homemade or store-bought crust and topped with meringue or whipped cream. This vegetarian version of the favorite pie contains no dairy, eggs or butter in the recipe.
- pie bread
- cooking fink
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large mixing bowl
- Strong spatula
- rolling pin
- stirring spoon
- Measuring cups and spoons
For the buttery crust:
- flour- Helps form the base of the pie crust.
- Organic Cane Sugar- Adds sweetness to the pastry crust. It also helps bind all the ingredients together.
- Vegan butter- Gives the pastry its unique texture and flavor
- Cold vegetable shortening- Adds flakiness to pie crust that vegan butter alone cannot achieve.
- ice cold water binds the ingredients together and moistens the pastry dough.
For the Vegan Pie Filling:
- Sweet potato puree- Sweet potatoes are the main ingredient in this pie dish! Pureed sweet potatoes are what give this pie its delicious, sweet flavor.
- Organic Cane Sugar- The filling provides a sweetness and helps to thicken it.
- Maple syrup- It creates a layer of flavor and helps bind the ingredients together.
- cinnamon- The filling adds a subtle, warm flavor.
- Nutmeg- Brings out the sweetness of the pie and adds another layer of flavor.
- Vanilla extract- It enhances all the flavors of the pie filling and gives it a nice aroma.
- salt- For a tantalizing flavor boost.
- almond milk- Helps thin the filling and gives a silky texture.
How to Make Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
Preheat oven to 400F and grease your pie pan with cooking spray or vegan butter. Next, you’ll want to start preparing the vegan pie crust. In a medium bowl, combine flour and cane sugar. Add the vegan butter and vegetable shortening to the flour mixture. Then, using a sturdy spatula or just clean hands, work in the butter and shorten the dough. If you have a food processor, you can use it to make sure everything is evenly combined. When the mixture becomes a coarse crumb, add in the ice-cold water, one tablespoon at a time, stirring until the dough comes together.
Make the dough slightly larger than the pie pan so that when you put the dough in the pan, the entire pie pan is covered. Once the crust is in the pan, set it aside to start making the filling.
In a large bowl or blender, combine sweet potato puree, maple syrup, vanilla extract, dairy-free milk, and spice mix. Stir or mix until the sweet potato pie filling has a creamy texture and pour the filling into the pie crust. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F and bake for another 30 minutes.
Once done, let the pie cool completely before cutting. Serve with whipped coconut cream, vegan whipped cream or dairy-free vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
What to Serve with Sweet Potato Pie
This vegan sweet potato pie is truly a surprise! No matter how you choose to enjoy this delicious dish, everyone at the table will love it, guaranteed! For those looking for something more creative, try topping this divine dessert with applesauce and chopped nuts to add texture and flavor.
Enjoy it with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream for a delicious treat or have it with your hot cup of coffee or tea.
Popular substitutions and additions
If you want to get creative and make your own variation of this vegetarian sweet potato pie, feel free to experiment with different ingredients.
- Get creative and add some crushed pecans to the pie filling.
- Try using vegan brown sugar instead of organic cane sugar for a deeper flavor.
- Top sweet potato pie with shredded coconut, mini vegan chocolate chips, or salted caramel sauce.
- Substitute canned pumpkin or pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice for sweet potato pie filling to make a pumpkin pie instead.
- Adding spices like allspice or ginger will also give the pie a unique twist.
- Replace the almond milk with another dairy-free milk of your choice, such as oat milk, soy milk or coconut milk.
- If you’re short on time, use a pre-baked pie crust or store-bought crust.
- To make the pie extra indulgent, add chopped vegan chocolate chips for a truly delicious treat!
- Coconut sugar can be used in place of organic cane sugar.
These simple substitutions and additions will take this classic Southern dessert from good to great! Enjoy experimenting and creating something absolutely delicious.
Can you freeze vegan sweet potato pie?
Yes, you can freeze sweet potato pie. To do this, make sure the pie is completely cooled before frosting. Wrap the vegan sweet potato pie in plastic wrap, place it in a resealable container, and store it in the refrigerator for up to six months. When ready to enjoy, thaw the frozen pie in the refrigerator overnight and serve cold, or place in the oven for a few minutes to warm. Leftover pie can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Vegan Sweet Potato Pie FAQs
Can I make this sweet potato pie with canned sweet potatoes instead of pureed?
Yes, you can make this vegan sweet potato pie with canned sweet potatoes. Be sure to drain them well and use a potato masher until completely smooth before adding to the filling.
Should I refrigerate vegan sweet potato pie?
Yes, the pie is best stored in the fridge, as it will keep for 4-5 days in an airtight container. You can freeze the pie if you like. Just make sure it cools completely before freezing.
Is this sweet potato pie gluten-free?
Yes, this vegan sweet potato pie is naturally gluten-free because it does not contain wheat flour or other gluten-containing ingredients. However, please check the labels of all your ingredients to make sure they are certified gluten-free if necessary.
Can I make my own sweet potato puree?
Yes, you can make your own puree for this vegetarian sweet potato pie. To do this, peel and cube two large sweet potatoes before boiling them in salted water until tender. Drain the cooked potatoes, then mash until smooth. Use mashed sweet potatoes in place of canned sweet potato puree.
How will I know when my vegan sweet potato pie is done?
Your vegan sweet potato pie is cooked when a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. You can test the doneness with a gentle poke in the center of the pie. It should set and no longer jiggly. The pie crust should be a nice golden brown.
Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
This vegan rendition of a Southern classic will make your taste buds sing. The sweet, creamy filling, flaky crust and subtle spice flavors will not disappoint.
for the crust
- 1 ¾ the cup flour
- 1 spoon Organic cane sugar
- ¼ the cup Vegan butter the cold
- ¼ the cup Vegetable shortening the cold
- 7 spoon ice cold water
- 2 the cup Sweet potato puree
- ½ the cup Organic cane sugar
- ¼ the cup Maple syrup
- 1 spoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 spoon Vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ the cup almond milk
Calories: 271kcalSugars: 37gProtein: 4gFat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fats: 3gMonounsaturated fats: 5gTrans fats: 1gSodium: 393mgPotassium: 371mgFiber: 4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 13725IUVitamin C: 14mgCalcium: 70mgIron: 2mg