Tomato tartlets with ricotta and pesto are the perfect party treat. Your omnivore friends probably won’t even realize they’re vegetarian! Serve them for your holiday dinner or as a snack at your New Year’s Eve party. They are great for potlucks! These mini tomato tarts are easy to make. They are vegetarian with a gluten-free option.
Vegan Tomato Tartlets
A few years ago I took the Rouxbe Plant-Based Pro Course. Our final project was to host a canapé party with five different recipes. I love hosting parties, so this was right up my alley!
I made Buffalo Cauliflower Bites, Seitan Chimichurri Skewers, Pesto Stuffed Mushrooms, Mini Chocolate Marble Cheesecakes, and these Tomato Tartlets. They were inspired by my recipe for Asparagus and Tomato Tart with Cashew Ricotta.
This recipe was also featured The Main Street Vegan Academy Cookbook With a gorgeous photo by Jackie Sobon.
what do you want
See recipe card for exact amounts
How to Make Vegan Tomato Tartlets
This recipe is easy to make!
- First you preheat your oven to 400°F and lightly oil the inside of a mini tart pan or muffin pan.
- Then you combine the crust ingredients in a bowl and knead until combined. You roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface until it is about ¼” to ⅛” thick.
- Next you use a round cookie cutter, a round glass, or a ring mold to cut your pan dough into 12 circles approximately the size you need. I used a 3″ ring mold.
- Then you gently pick up each piece of dough and place it in the compartment of the pan. You press the dough into all the corners and remove any excess.
- Then you fill each crust with cashew ricotta and then top with tomato slices. Bake your mini tarts for 15 to 20 minutes, until the crusts look golden brown.
- Remove your mini tarts from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes.
- Top each tart with a dollop of pesto and a few basil leaves.
I was working a lot with spelled flour when I first made this recipe. Whole wheat flour or an all-purpose gluten-free mix will also work well.
I use my homemade spinach pesto in this recipe. My Arugula Pesto would work very well. You can also use store bought if you prefer. I love Gotham Greens Vegan Pesto and Trader Joe’s Kale Pesto.
I also use my homemade cashew ricotta here. You can use store-bought vegan ricotta if you prefer. Kite Hill is my favorite. Tofutti also makes a vegetarian ricotta.
I use a mini tart pan to make these, but you can use a muffin pan if you prefer.
Serve your Tomato Tartlets
These little snacks taste great cold or at room temperature, but are best served warm. Serve them as an appetizer before dinner or as a snack at a party.
Tomato tartlets with spinach pesto
Tomato tartlets with spinach pesto are the perfect party treat. Your omnivore friends probably won’t even realize they’re vegetarian!
For the crust
- 1 ½ the cup Spelled flour Whole wheat flour, or all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt
- 3 table spoon olive oil
- ⅓ the cup cold water
For the tarts
- 2 the cup Cashew Ricotta Or our favorite store-bought nondairy ricotta
- 1 the cup Spinach Pesto Arugula pesto, or your favorite store-bought nondairy pesto
- 2 or 3 Roma tomatoes Cut into 12 pieces
- Fresh basil leaves For the garnish
Make the crust:
Combine crust ingredients in a bowl and knead until combined. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until about ¼” to ⅛” thick. Use a round cookie cutter, a round glass, or a ring mold that is roughly the size you need to cut your pan dough into 12 circles. I used a 3″ ring mold.
Gently lift each piece of dough and place it in the compartment of the pan. Press all corners and remove any excess.
Make the mini tarts:
Fill each crust with cashew ricotta and then top with tomato slices. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the crusts look golden brown.
Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes.
Top with a dollop of pesto and a few basil leaves.
Calories: 176kcal | Sugars: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 0.4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 292mg | Potassium: 61mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 632IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg
More hungry you can enjoy included