Coated in a tart-sweet-and-tangy marinade with earthy notes of thyme and sage, this salad from Brussels sprouts Everyday Vegan Cheat Sheet The cookbook is the ultimate expression of fall flavors. But we want to enjoy it any time of the year. Smoky coconut bacon and crunchy toasted hazelnuts punctuate each bite with salty, savory exclamation points.
do you want:
For the Coconut Bacon:
1⅓ tablespoon soy sauce
1½ teaspoons liquid smoke
1½ teaspoons maple syrup
1½ teaspoons olive oil
⅛ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup large coconut chips or flakes
For the Brussels Sprout Salad:
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon apple butter
1 teaspoon dried thyme
¼ teaspoon dried sage, crushed
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon salt
1 pound Brussels sprouts, finely chopped (about 8 cups)
½ cup toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
what do you do:
- For the coconut bacon, preheat the oven to 300 degrees and line a half sheet pan with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk soy sauce, liquid smoke, maple syrup, oil, and pepper. Add the coconut, and stir with a wide spatula to coat the flakes, so the coconut doesn’t break up.
- Pour the contents along with any excess marinade into the prepared pan. Bake for about 28 to 32 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so for even cooking. Flakes can burn very easily, so keep a close eye on them. Cook until deep brown and highly aromatic. Remove the sheet from the oven and turn the broiler on high.
- For the Brussels sprout salad, in a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, apple butter, thyme, sage, red pepper flakes, and salt. Set aside.
- Scatter the sliced Brussels sprouts over the coconut bacon, covering completely. Place the sprouts in as much of a layer as possible. Return to oven, placing on top rack to bring closer to broiler. Cook for 5 minutes, until very lightly browned around the edges.
- In a large bowl, quickly transfer the warmed sprouts and coconut bacon. Drizzle with oil mixture and toss thoroughly to combine. Top with toasted hazelnuts and serve immediately.