New Breakfast Trend Alert! Custard toast (aka yogurt toast), a delicious protein-packed sweet breakfast toast you may have seen on tiktok, is here to stay.
It comes together quickly in a toaster or air fryer and is full of protein to keep you full. If you are someone who likes a sweet breakfast, this is the toast for you.
Custard toast is all over Tiktok and after seeing literally everyone and their grandma make it, I decided to give it a try. I love flames and I especially love toast of all kinds, so it seemed like a match made in heaven.
What is custard toast?
Cream toast (sometimes called yogurt toast) is a breakfast and take on cheesecake made with ingredients most people have at home. I’m not sure who was the first person to do it, but I’ve definitely seen Moody Day’s Tiktok floating around a lot! Essentially, a piece of fluffy bread is flattened in the middle and filled with a sweetened yogurt egg mixture. Toss with fruit, bake until the bread is crispy and toasty and the custard is set and you’re done! Almost like dessert for breakfast but a little healthier. Creamy, sweet and a little crunchy, with fruit for freshness, it almost looks like a cross between Danish and French toast.
How to make custard toasts
- squish Use the back of a spoon to make a depression in the middle of a slice of bread so the custard has a little pool to sink into.
- Mix up. In a bowl, mix the Greek yogurt, an egg and a little sweetener or choice until smooth.
- Fill up. Add the custard mixture to the bed you made on the bread.
- superior Add some sliced fruit on top – anything goes!
- to bake Bake until the cream is cooked and the toast is crispy. You can do it in a toaster oven or in the fryer.
Custard toast ingredients
- bread – The best is a spongy bread. I love the fluffy white milk bread or shokupan that you can find in Asian bakeries or grocery stores. The brioche works exceptionally well and the jam is lovely. I wouldn’t go for sourdough just because they have lots of holes and work better as savory toast.
- yogurt – I like to use plain Greek yogurt, but you can use your favorite yogurt to add a hint of underlying flavor. You don’t need a lot of yogurt, just about 2 tablespoons.
- egg – The egg is what makes it custard, use a good quality egg!
Sweetener: You can use sugar, brown sugar, honey, or any sweetener of your choice. I usually sweeten to taste, with about 2 teaspoons of sugar, but I opt for more or less according to your sweet tooth.
- Toppings – This is where your creativity can shine! The most common topping on yogurt toast is fruit. You can do berries, sliced apples, bananas, oranges, peaches, plums, any fruit, really. You can also make chocolate, crushed cookies, or some granola!
It’s very easy to make custard toast in the air fryer and it’s very crispy. Just prepare the toast and pop it in the toaster oven at 400°F for 10 minutes.
It only takes 10-12 minutes in a 400°F toaster oven.
Enjoy your custard toasts! My favorite combination so far has been raspberries with a crushed Biscoff cookie. VERY GOOD.
Toast with cream recipe
If you are someone who likes a sweet breakfast, this is the toast for you.
It’s useful 2
- 2 slices bread of choice
- 2 spoon greek yogurt
- 1 eggs
- 1 spoon sugar or honey
- covers of choice
Toast with cream recipe
Amount per serving
Calories from fat 23
% Daily Value*
fat 2.5 g4%
Saturated fats 0.7 g4%
cholesterol 82 mg27%
sodium 99 mg4%
potassium 62 mg2%
Carbohydrates 11.4 g4%
Fiber 0.2 g1%
Sugar 7.3 g8%
protein 5.3 g11%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.